I am a postdoc with Prof. Frank Pfenning in the Computer Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University. I am interested in programming languages, program verification, type theory, and logic. Previously, I was a postdoc with Prof. Jonathan Aldrich in the Institute for Software Research at Carnegie Mellon University. I obtained my PhD from the Department of Computer Science at ETH Zurich, under the supervision of Prof. Thomas R. Gross.
- Ligia Nistor, Jonathan Aldrich, Stephanie Balzer, and Hannes Mehnert: Object Propositions. In 19th International Symposium on Formal Methods (FM 2014). Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, 2014. To appear.
- Stephanie Balzer and Thomas R. Gross: Verifying Multi-Object Invariants with Relationships. In 25th European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming (ECOOP 2011). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 6813, pp. 359-383. Springer, 2011. [PDF] [SpringerLink]
- Stephanie Balzer, Thomas R. Gross, and Patrick Eugster: A Relational Model of Object Collaborations and its Use in Reasoning about Relationships. In 21st European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming (ECOOP 2007). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 4609, pp. 323-346. Springer, 2007. [PDF] [SpringerLink]
- Ligia Nistor, Darya Kurilova, Stephanie Balzer, Benjamin Chung, Alex Potanin, and Jonathan Aldrich: Wyvern: A Simple, Typed, and Pure Object-Oriented Language. In 5th Workshop on Mechanisms for SPEcialization, Generalization and inHerItance (MASPEGHI), affiliated with ECOOP. Pages 9-16. ACM, 2013. [PDF]
- Stephanie Balzer, Thomas R. Gross, and Peter Müller: Selective Ownership: Combining Object and Type Hierarchies for Flexible Sharing. In 19th International Workshop on Foundations of Object-Oriented Languages (FOOL 2012), affiliated with SPLASH 2012. [PDF]
- Stephanie Balzer, Thomas R. Gross: Modular Reasoning about Invariants over Shared State with Interposed Data Members. In 4th ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Programming Languages Meets Program Verification (PLPV 2010), affiliated with POPL 2010, pp. 49-56. ACM, 2010. [PDF] [ACM Portal]
- Stephanie Balzer, Thomas R. Gross: Member Interposition: How Roles Can Define Class Members. In 2nd Workshop on Roles and Relationships in Object Oriented Programming, Multiagent Systems, and Ontologies (Roles 2007), Workshop co-located with ECOOP 2007. Technical Report 2007-9, Technische Universität Berlin (2007).
- Stephanie Balzer. Relations for Specifying the Invariant Behavior of Object Collaborations. In PhD Programme of 9th International Conference on Relational Methods in Computer Science (RelMiCS), 2006.
- Stephanie Balzer, Patrick Th. Eugster, and Bertrand Meyer. Can Aspects Implement Contracts?. In Proceedings of 2nd International Workshop on Rapid Integration of Software Engineering Techniques (RISE), 2005. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3943, pp. 145-157. Springer, 2005. [SpringerLink]
- Stephanie Balzer. Contracted Persistent Object Programming. PhD Workshop, ECOOP 2005. [PDF]
- Stephanie Balzer: Rumer: a Programming Language and Modular Verification Technique Based on Relationships. PhD Thesis, ETH Zurich, Nr. 19851, 2011. [PDF] [ETHLink]
- Stephanie Balzer: Entwicklung eines metadatengesteuerten Historisierungswerkzeugs für die Aktualisierung von Data Warehouses (Development of a Metadata-driven, History-sensitive Software Component for the Actualization of Data Warehouses). Master Thesis, University of Zurich, 2001. [PDF]
- Stephanie Balzer: Einführung in die objektorientierte Programmierung mit Java (Introduction to Programming in Java). Semester Thesis, University of Zurich, 1998 (text book for associated lecture). [PDF]
- Stephanie Balzer, Alexandra Burns, and Thomas R. Gross. Objects in Context: An Empirical Study of Object Relationships. Technical Report 594, ETH Zurich (May 2008). [PDF] [ETHLink]
- Stephanie Balzer, Patrick Eugster, and Thomas R. Gross. Relations: Abstracting Object Collaborations. Technical Report 539, ETH Zurich (November 2006). [PDF] [ETHLink]
- PC member of European Conference on Object-Oriented Programming (ECOOP) 2015.
- Organizing chair of International Workshop of Aliasing, Capabilities, and Ownership (IWACO'14), a workshop co-located with ECOOP 2014.
- Workshop chair of SPLASH 2014.
- PC member of Software Engineering Ideen at SE 2014: Konferenz für Software Engineering 2014.
- Workshop chair of SPLASH 2013.
- Organizing chair of Relationships and Associations in Object-Oriented Languages (RAOOL'09), a workshop co-located with ECOOP 2009.
- Member of the organizing committee of Relationships and Associations in Object-Oriented Languages (RAOOL'08), a workshop co-located with OOPSLA 2008.
- Member of the organizing committee of the ECOOP 2006 Doctoral Symposium and PhD Students Workshop.
Awards and honors
- SNF Prospective Researchers Fellowship 2012.
- Finalist of the the Google Europe Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship 2007.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council Student Award 2006.