is with Rahul Tongia/authors, unless held by a publisher.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Organizing and Editorial Committee, Materials Research
Society, for MRS
Bulletin's Special Issue, Harnessing
Materials for Energy, 33(4),
April 2008 [equivalent
- A. Bharadwaj, R. Tongia, V. S. Arunachalam, “Scoping
Technology Options for India’s Oil Security, Part II: Coal to
Liquids and Bio-Diesel”, Bharadwaj, Current Science, 92(9), May 10, 2007
- A. Bharadwaj, R. Tongia, V. S. Arunachalam, “Scoping
Technology Options for India’s Oil Security, Part I: Ethanol
April 25, 2007
- R. Tongia, “Connectivity
in Emerging Regions: The Need for Improved Technology and Business
Models” (2007), IEEE Communications Magazine,
Special Issue on New Directions in Networking Technologies in Emerging
January 2007, pp. 96-103
- V. S. Arunachalam, R. Tongia, A. Bharadwaj,
“India’s Quest for Energy Security”, Canadian Foreign Policy,
- A. Bharadwaj, Rahul Tongia, and V. S. Arunachalam,
Nuclear Power? Energy Implications of the US-India Nuclear Power
Deal” (2006) Economic
and Political Weekly, 41(12) 1203-1212
- R. Tongia, “Natural
Gas Imports for India Revisited” Invited Commentary
and Political Weekly, May 14, 2005, 40(20), pp.
- R. Tongia, “Can
Broadband over PowerLine Carrier (PLC)
Compete? A Techno-Economic Analysis”
Telecommunications Policy 28(7-8)
(2004) pp. 559–578
- R. Tongia and K. Jain, “Investing
in Security – Do Not Rely on FUD” (2003) Information Systems Control
Journal, Vol. 6, 2003
- R. Tongia and V. S. Arunachalam, "Natural
Gas Imports for South Asia: Pipelines or Pipedreams?" (1999) Economic and Political Weekly
1054-1064 [author version]
- R. Tongia and V. S. Arunachalam, "India's
Nuclear Breeders: Technology, Viability, and Options" (1998) Current Science 75(6), pp. 549-558
- R. Tongia and R. Banerjee, "Price
of Power in India" (1998) Energy Policy 26(7), p. 557
- R. Walawalker, R. Tongia, and B. Colburn, “Web
Metering and Controls for Demand Response” Chapter in Web
Enterprise Energy and Facility Management Systems, Barney
(ed.), Fairmont Press
- R. Tongia, “The Political Economy of Power Sector
India” Chapter in The
Political Economy and Institutions of Power
Sector Reform in the Developing World, Victor, D. and Heller,
T. (eds.) Cambridge
Press, Cambridge, ISBN: 978-0-521-86502-9, pp 109-174
- R. Tongia, “Access to ICTs for
Harnessing the Potential of ICT for Education – A
Multistakeholder Approach, United
Nations ICT Task Force, New York (2005)
- R. Tongia, “Open Access Networking in Africa: The
Proposal” Chapter in Open Access for Africa: Challenges,
Recommendations, and Examples, United
Nations ICT Task Force, New York (2005)
- R. Tongia, E. Subrahmanian, and V. S. Arunachalam,
Sustainable Development: Defining a Global Research Agenda”
Bangalore. ISBN: 81 - 7764 - 839 – X.
for the National Science Foundation, World Bank, and United Nations.
Committee co-chair, 3rd IEEE/ACM International Conference
on Information and Communication Technologies and Development ICTD2009,
Doha, Qatar, April 17-19, 2009
- R. Tongia and A. Mills-Tettey, “Information,
Communications: Keys to Sustainable Global Development,” AAAS
Meeting, Science and Technology from a Global Perspective,
February 17, 2008.
- J. Sherwani, R. Rosenfeld, R. Tongia, et. al,
“HealthLine: Speech-based Access to Health Information by
Low-literate Users”, IEEE/ACM International Conference on
Information and Communication Technologies and Development ICTD2007,
Bangalore, India, December 15-16, 2007, published in ICTD2007
- F. Hussain and R. Tongia, “Community Radio for
South Asia: A Sustainability Study” (poster and full paper),
IEEE/ACM International Conference on Information and Communication
Technologies and Development ICTD2007,
Bangalore, India, December 15-16, 2007, published in ICTD2007
- L. Xu, V. Varadharajan, J. Maravich, R. Tongia, and
J. Mostow, “DeSIGN: An
Intelligent Tutor to Teach American Sign
Language” at SLaTE
Workshop on Speech and Language Technology in Education,
Farmington, Pennsylvania, Oct 1, 2007.
- R. Tongia and E. J. Wilson, “Turning
Metcalfe on his Head: The
Multiple Costs of Network Exclusion”, Proceedings
of the 35th
Telecommunications Policy Research Conference (TPRC 2007), Vienna,
Virginia, September 29, 2007.
- J. Sherwani, N.
Ali, R. Tongia, R. Rosenfeld, Y.
Memon, M. Karim, G. Pappas. HealthLine:
Speech-based Access to Health Information by Semi-literate Users.
Speech in Mobile and Pervasive Environments, Singapore,
- R. Tongia, “Overcoming
the Digital Divide: Rethinking Innovation and Going Beyond Connectivity”
Address, Marrakech, Morocco, June 2-6, 2007.
- J. Sherwani, R. Tongia, R. Rosenfeld, Y. Memon, M. Karim,
“Towards Speech Interfaces for Health Information Access by
Semi-literate Users” at the International Joint Conference on
Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI
2007- AI and its Benefits to Society),
AI in ICT for Development Workshop, Hyderabad, January 8, 2007.
- M. B. Dias, R. Tongia, K. Toyama, “Exploring
Benefits of AI to the Global Society” (Tutorial) at the
International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2007 - AI and
its Benefits to Society), Hyderabad, January 6,
- R. Tongia, “Connectivity
and the Digital Divide –
Technology, Policy, and Design Tradeoffs for Developing Regions”
at the 34th Telecommunications Policy Research Conference (TPRC 2006), Sept.
30, 2006 published in TPRC 2006 Proceedings
- R. Tongia, “Broadband for Africa and Developing
– Policy Challenges more than Technical
(poster) at WWW2006,
Edinburgh, UK, May 23, 2006.
- R. Tongia and E. Subrahmanian, “ICT
for Development – a
Design Challenge?” (poster and full paper),
International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies
and Development, ICTD2006,
Berkeley, May 25-26, 2006, published in ICTD2006 Proceedings
- R. Tongia, “PowerLine Carrier Communications for
Developing Countries – Is there a Business Case?” Keynote Address,
First International Symposium on the Economics of PLC (Power Line
Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, January 28-29, 2005.
- R. Tongia, “Promises
and False Promises of PowerLine Carrier
(PLC) Broadband Communications – A Techno-Economic
Analysis” at the 31st Telecommunications Policy
Conference (TPRC 2003),
Sept. 21, 2003 published in TPRC 2003 Proceedings.
- R. Tongia “Power Sector Development –
role of IT and
new technologies” at Portland International Conference on
Management of Engineering & Technology2003 (PICMET2003),
July 21, 2003.
- Invitee (by H.E. Paul Kagame, President of Rwanda)
Hosted by ITU/Africa Union, Kigali, Rwanda, October 29-30, 2007.
- R. Tongia, Healthcare Innovation and Technology Panel
Conference, Harvard University, April 7-9, 2007.
- R. Tongia, “Rural Broadband –
International Experience and Ideas” Columbia Institute for
Columbia University, October 27, 2006, New York.
– Intl. Conference on Information and Communication
Technologies and Development, May 25-26, 2006 – Organizing Committee;
Publications Chair (peer-reviewed conference with IEEE and
ACM cooperation), held at SIMS, UC-Berkeley.
- R. Tongia, “Wireless and Access to Knowledge
– Hopes and Hype” presented at Access to
Knowledge Conference 2006,
Organized by Yale Law School, New Haven, April 21-23, 2006.
- R. Reddy and R. Tongia, “The
Disruptive Future of Telecom” presented at World
Telecom Development Conference 2006 (WTDC2006) Plenary,
organized by the ITU, Doha, Qatar, March 7, 2006.
- R. Tongia, “Open Access Networking Analyzed:
FiberAfrica Proposal” presented at 3rd Open Access
organized by UN ICT Task Force and Eduardo Mondlane University, Maputo,
Mozambique, May 10-11, 2005.
- R. Tongia, “Access to ICT for
presented at UN
ICT Task Force Meeting and
Global Forum, Dublin, Ireland, April 13-15,
- R. Tongia, “BPL – Under Competition in
Telecom World” presented at Alternative Broadband Platforms:
Can They Compete With Fiber Optics? Where?, Columbia Institute for
Columbia University, March 19, 2005, New York, USA.
- R. Tongia “PLC – A Reality
Check” presented at
Power Line Communications III, Columbia
Institute for Tele-Information (CITI), Columbia
University, March 20, 2003, New York, USA.
- R. Tongia “Energy, Development, and
– Energy Session at the Inaugural Conference of
Shell Center for Sustainability, Rice
University, March 12-13, 2003, Houston, USA.
- R. Tongia “The Economics of South Asia: An
Cooperation? – Energy Cooperation” Bordering on
Conference on India-Pakistan Relations, presented at Bordering on Peace,
Resolution Group, Yale University, April 6-7,
2001, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
- R. Tongia, "Use of Shape-Memory Alloys as Low-Grade Heat
Engines" Presented at Tryst
(International Students Conference): Indian Institute of Technology,
New Delhi, Jan. 1995. [Adjudged Best Paper in mechanical
Seminars / Special Lectures / Briefings
- Expert witness, US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) En Banc Hearing on
Broadband and the Digital Future, July 21, 2008. [Testimony] [Comments/Q&A]
[Slides] [Personal Reactions]
- R. Tongia and E.J.Wilson, “Growing and Multiple
Costs of Network Exclusion” – Annenberg
University of Southern California, March 24, 2008. [slides]
- R. Tongia, “ICT for Sustainable Development and
Doing Inter-Disciplinary Research in India” Motorola Labs,
Bangalore, December 20, 2007
- Invited Senior Researcher, Pan-Asia
ICT for Development
Workshop, hosted by the Intl. Development
Research Center (IDRC) and Microsoft Research, Bangalore, December
- R. Tongia, “ICT for Sustainable
January 11, 2007
Pew Research Center, Washington, D.C., June 6, 2006.
- R. Reddy, R. Tongia, and K. Skinnor, “Connecting
Bank, Washington, DC [Presentation to
President Wolfowitz and ICT Leadership], February
- R. Tongia, “Electricity Systems and Telecom/IT:
next 5-10 Years.” Southern California Edison AMI
Retreat. Los Angeles, Feb 3, 2006.
- R. Tongia, “ICT for Sustainable Development: An
Insider’s Look at the Research Agenda” presented at
Organization, and Society Lecture Series, Carnegie Mellon
University, November 7, 2005.
- ICT and
Development Workshop – Building a Community of Scholars.
UC Berkeley, USA. October 28, 2005.
- R. Reddy and R. Tongia, “FiberAfrica—A
Leapfrog Design for Africa.” Earth Institute
Roundtable on Rural Connectivity. Chair: Jeffrey
Sachs. May 24, 2005.
- R. Tongia, “Networks in Developing
Countries” presented at Freedom to Connect Workshop,
Washington, DC, USA, organized by Isen.com,
March 30, 2005.
- R. Tongia, “Knowledge Networks Spanning the Rural
Digital Divide” at Workshop
on Knowledge Networks, Food
and Agricultural Organization (FAO), Rome, Italy, Feb. 8-10,
- R. Tongia, “Networks in the Developing
World” at WTF-2004-A
Gathering of SMART People (Telecom Leaders and
Innovators), organized by Isen.com, April 4, 2004
- R. Tongia, “100 Mbps – What’s
the business case?” at Workshop
on 100 Megabits for 100 million homes project,
UC-Berkeley, March 30-31, 2004. [Sponsored by National Science
Foundation; organized by CMU/UC-Berkeley.]
- UN ICT Task
Force – Global Forum on Internet Governance, New
York, March 24-26, 2004. [Nominated Vice-Chair of the UN ICT Task Force
Working Group on Low-Cost Connectivity Access.]
Workshop on ICT for Sustainable Development [sponsored by
National Science Foundation/World Bank/United Nations], Conference organizer,
January 14-16, 2004, Bangalore, India.
- ICT for
Sustainable Development Workshop [sponsored by National
Science Foundation/World Bank/United Nations], Conference organizer,
June 26-27, 2003, Washington, DC.
- R. Tongia, “IT for Developing
presented at Institute
for the Study of Information Technology and Society (InSITeS),
Heinz School of Public Policy, Carnegie Mellon, January 28, 2003,
- R. Tongia “Telecom and Data Networks in India:
Other Infrastructure.” March 15, 2001, presented at the Center for Integrated Study of
Human Dimensions of Global Change (CIS-HDGC), Carnegie
Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA.
- R. Tongia, “Decarbonizing India’s
Systems - Why? When? How?” presented at Energy, Climate, and Global
Security 2008, at Lawrence Livermore National
Lab, March 31-April 2, 2008, Livermore, California.
- R. Tongia, “IT and Advanced Metering
for the Indian
Bank, New Delhi, January 5, 2005.
- R. Tongia, “Metering, Smart Metering, and
– An Analysis.”
Power Systems Engineering and Research
Center (PSERC) Seminar, October 5, 2004.
- R. Tongia, “IT and India’s Power Sector
to Leapfrog” Special presentation to the Karnataka
and Karnataka Electricity Utilities,
- R. Tongia, “India’s Electricity Act
– Grid Design and Issues” at Workshop on Indian Electricity
Act 2003, Inst. for International Studies, Stanford
University, April 9, 2004.
- R. Tongia, “ICT and Power (Electricity) in
India” presented at Carnegie
Mellon Electricity Industry Center (CEIC)
and Center for the Integrated
Study of Human Dimensions of Global Change (CIS-HDGC) - Joint Seminar,
Sept. 24, 2003.
- R. Tongia, “Power Sector Reform in India
Implications for Fuel Choices and Grid Design” at NSEP
South Asia Energy, Security, and Environment organized
by University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, June 6-7, 2003,
Washington, DC (Workshop Co-Chair and Organizer).
- R. Tongia, “Power Sector Reform in India: The
Road Ahead,” presented at The Political Economy of Power
Market Reform, Stanford University, February 19-20, 2003,
Palo Alto, USA.
(Workshop), organized by the Program on Energy and Sustainable
Development, Stanford University, October 17-18, 2002, Palo Alto,
- Electric Power
Institute (EPRI) Workshop
on Universal Global Electrification Challenges, September
4, 2002, EPRI, Palo Alto, USA.
- R. Tongia and V. S. Arunachalam, The
Caspian Basin and Asian
Energy Markets May 24, 2001, Brookings
Institution, part of Conference Report # 8 (October 2001), Washington,
- R. Tongia “Natural Gas Pipelines in South Asia:
Security” June 8-9, 2001, presented at Univ. of Illinois at
Environment, and Security in South Asia Workshop.
Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA.
- R. Tongia, A. Bharadwaj et al “Electricity from
Developing Economies,” presented at the 5th Annual Meeting of the
Center for Integrated Study of the Human Dimensions of Global Change
July 20, 2000, Pittsburgh, USA.
- R. Tongia “India’s Power Sector:
Structure, Finance, and Investments” presented at US-India Electric Power Expert
Workshop, September 22-24, 1999, University of Warwick,
organizer; organized by Dept. of Engineering &
Public Policy, CMU, with support from US Dept. of Energy).
S. Arunachalam, R. Tongia, et. al, “A New Direction in S&T
Research for Public Good – Special presentation to
of India” New Delhi, March 7,
S. Arunachalam, R. Tongia, and A. Bharadwaj,
Rural Development, and Energy.” presented to the Trustees
of the Packard
Palo Alto, California, September 24,
Workshop on Science and
organized by the American Association for the Advancement of Science
(AAAS) and the MacArthur Foundation, AAAS, April 15-16, 2003,
Washington, DC, USA.
Tongia “Issues of Infrastructure in
India,” presented at South
Asia Panel Series,
March 15, 2000, Carnegie Endowment for
International Peace, Washington, D.C., USA. [Organized by the Stimson
Center/Brookings Institution/Carnegie Endowment.]
Workshop on Catalyzing North-South Initiatives,
Dec 3-5, 1998, Princeton University, Princeton, USA. [Organized by
Center for Energy and Environmental Studies/International Energy
- Pak-US Symposium,
March 24, 1998, Islamabad, Pakistan.
[Organized by Institute of Regional Studies, Islamabad, and University
of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms Control, Disarmament,
and International Security (ACDIS).]
- South Asian Futures: A Strategic
March 20-22, 1998, New Delhi, India. [Organized by University of
Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Program in Arms
Control, Disarmament, and International Security (ACDIS) and Institute
for Peace and Conflict Studies (IPCS), New Delhi.]
- South Asia Security Workshop,
January 23, 1998, Stimson Center, Washington, D.C., USA.
[Organized by Rockefeller Foundation International Security Program.]
Tongia and V. S. Arunachalam, “India and Pakistan: Energy
Security and Evolution of Cooperation” presented at A
Definition of Security: 50 Years of United States Relations with India
and Pakistan Conference, May 2-4,
- R. Tongia, “Politics in a Pipeline”
OpEd in Indian
February 4, 2007
- R. Tongia, Re: “Losing its Lustre”
(Nobel Prize) Economist
Oct 13, 2006 online.
- R. Tongia, “Networking for Africa –
Open Access and
Issues” Commentary in Book Open Access for Africa:
Recommendations, and Examples. UN ICT Task Force, New York
- V. S. Arunachalam, R. Reddy, and Rahul Tongia, “Where
broadband?” (2004) Op-Ed in The Hindu, January
- V. S. Arunachalam and R. Tongia, “Sustainable
Peace: Moving Beyond Terrorism “ (2001) Eisenhower Institute.
- V. S. Arunachalam and R. Tongia, "Response:
India's Nuclear Breeders" (1999) Frontline 16(3).
- R. Tongia, “Political Economy of Indian Power
Reforms” (2003) Working Paper – WP-4,
Program on Energy and
Sustainable Development, Stanford
- R. Tongia, “What IT Can and Cannot Do for the
Distribution in India: Link to Reforms, Incentives, and
Management” (2003) Working Paper – WP-19,
Program on Energy
and Sustainable Development, Stanford
- R. Tongia, “Reducing One Aspect of the Digital
Connectivity (Introducing the FiberAfrica
Proposal – a Leapfrog
Network)” (2005) (periodically updated; last update May 13,
- R. Reddy, V. S. Arunachalam, R. Tongia, N. Balakrishan, and
Subrahmanian “Sustainable ICT for Emerging Economies:
and Reality of the Digital Divide Problem – A Discussion
- R. Tongia, “Convergence Bill (India) –
Critique.” (2002) Position paper, selectively
Reports and Other Publications
- R. Tongia, "Synopsis - Broadband over Powerline (BPL)" in Current State of Information and
Communications Technology for Development (ICT4D), edited
by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, U. Washington, Microsoft Research
- V. S. Arunachalam, A. Bharadwaj, and Rahul Tongia
“Electricity from Biomass for Rural India” (2002)
of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) Report.
- G. Morgan, V. S. Arunachalam, R. Tongia, eds., "Electric
India: A US-India Bilateral Study" (1999) Report prepared for Electric
Power Experts from US and India Workshop (sponsored by the U.S. Dept.
- L. V. Krishnan, R. Tongia, and V. S. Arunachalam, "India's
Power Program Revisited" (1997) Dept.
of Engineering & Public
- A. Sterdis and R. Tongia, eds., "The Future of Home
in Allegheny County" Heinz School of Public Policy/Dept. of
Engineering & Public Policy/Dept. of Social and Decision
Report, Carnegie Mellon University, May 1996.