LNG Pipe Vision (LPV)
Some challenges and research questions we are trying to address include:
- How to choose and control lighting inside the pipe?
- What are the best camera systems suited for the task of reliable 3D reconstruction in pipe (monocular, stereo, omnidirectional, a ring of cameras, etc)?
- How to exploit the known geometry of a pipe to achieve sub-millimeter accuracy (for 3D reconstruction and visual odometry) that might not be possible in general environments?
Keywords: 3D reconstruction, stereo, visual odometry, registration, change detection.
People: Dr. Brett Browning (Robotics Institute), PI, Dr. Peter Rander Co-PI (NREC), Dr. Peter Hansen, Post-doc Carnegie Mellon Qatar
- -Towards a visual perception system for pipe inspection: monocular visual odometry
- -Monocular visual odometry for robot localization in LNG pipes
Visual Odometry and Pose Estimation
SFM-based stereo VO pipeline consists of three main steps: (1) feature extraction, 3D triangulation and tracking, (2) pose estimation from tracked features, and (3) non-linear refinement of motion and structure parameters. Pose estimation is at the core of SFM-based VO as pose estimation methods need to tolerate feature tracking and extraction errors. Furthermore, estimated pose needs to be accurate enough for non-linear refinement methods to converge. In this work, we conduct a large empirical study to investigate several classes of pose estimation algorithms, evaluate them on simulated data, as well as indoor and outdoor data set. The aim is give insight into the different algorithms and the main factors that affect the accuracy of pose estimation methods from stereo imagery. (See the Visual Odometry page for more results and downloadable datasets).
Keywords: Stereo visual odometry, Pose estimation, Perspective-N-Points (PnP), Absolute Orientation (AO)
People: Dr. Brett Browning (Robotics Institute), Dr. Bernardine Dias (Robotics Institute)
- -Evaluation and analysis of pose estimation methods for stereo visual odometry on mobile robots
- -Evaluating pose estimation methods for stereo visual odometry on robots
Technology for Developing Communities
Keywords: ICTD, English Literacy, Mobile Phones
People: Rotimi Abimbola, Hatem Alismail, Sarah Belousov, Beatrice Dias, Freddie Dias, M. Bernardine Dias, Imran Fanaswala, Bradley Hall, Daniel Nuffer, Ermine A. Teves, Jessica Thurston, Anthony Velázquez
- -iSTEP Tanzania 2009: Inaugural Experience
- -Combining Web Technology and Mobile Phones to Enhance English Literacy in Undeserved Communities