Re: GEMS Versions

Please be assured that Steve Knecht agreeing with Ken does not a policy make.  I have taken this discussion offline with Ken and will spin it up with Larry Ensminger.  We need a resolution to this licensing issue that goes beyond sending CDs back.  Please be patient.

Ian
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 10:47 PM
Subject: Re: GEMS Versions

AGREED!
----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Clark
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 2:29 PM

Ken wrote:

There is never any harm in ordering a CD.
There is no harm is ordering a CD, but please send all the old CD's back to Global McKinney.  Each CD is serialized for licensing purposes and only one serial number can be assigned to each purchase of GEMS.

Ian

Um, honestly not intending to rock the boat here, but what is the reasoning behind this?  Returning ROMs makes sense since the media can be reused, but that is not the case with CDs.  We can't seriously be worried about customers giving their old CDs away -- every office has a CD burner and besides you'd think their buddies would want the new version anyway.

In short, I can't see justifying (1) effort for the customer to package it up, (2) freight cost to send it, and (3) paying someone here to receive it just so we can throw it out.  Send out the new CD with the same S/N as the old one, or a different one, whatever makes your process easier, but you don't need the old CD to do that.

Ken