RE: AVTS-R6 Demonstration Module

These are good suggestions.  We need some filling in a couple of blanks though.

If it is a “DEMONSTRATION” button, what ballot does the voter get?  Does it matter that they get their actual ballot, or can we just pick the first ballot?  If the requirement is for their ballot, what is the interface?  Do we list all ballots on another screen?  Is that really practical?

Similar question for the “DEMO” card.  Does the demo card just pick a random ballot, or does the poll worker program the ballot onto the card?  We could of course put a flag on the card to put it in “demo” mode, but that will mean a new checkbox on the card creation screen and a new magic key on the Card Manager (aka Spyrus).  That is not necessarily a big deal programmatically, but can users handle these flags?  I have visions of 1% of real voters being given demo cards by accident, and then ignoring the red blinking light on the cast vote screen telling them they aren’t really voting.

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com] On Behalf Of Steve Knecht
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 7:10 PM
To: rcr@dieboldes.com
Subject: Re: AVTS-R6 Demonstration Module

How about a DEMONSTRATION button right on the front page of the first

display?  That would allow all machines to be used and allow pollworkers to

assist voters in a demonstration environment.  If that seems too accessible,

then perhaps a "demo" voter card? for the precinct.

Anyway, some way to give a demo to the voter is a great idea and needed.