The Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science is recognized around the world as a leader in all facets of computer science and robotics education.
Respected international surveys have consistently ranked CMU's graduate programs in computer science among the best in the United States. SCS also is ranked highly in specialty areas such as programming languages, artificial intelligence, systems and theory.
And a survey by the editors of The Wall Street Journal ranked our undergraduate computer science program No. 1 in the United States among corporate recruiters.
Degrees & Programs at a Glance
Most undergraduates in the School of Computer Science are working toward a bachelor of science in computer science. SCS also offers interdisciplinary majors in computer science and the arts, music and technology and computational biology. In fall 2018, SCS began offering a bachelor of science in artificial intelligence.
SCS also offers additional majors in computer science, human-computer interaction, and robotics. Students wishing to earn a second, or "double," major must obtain their primary bachelor of science degree from another department (typically the Computer Science Department or Electrical and Computer Engineering).
Admissions to all bachelor of science programs are administered through Carnegie Mellon's Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
In addition to majors, SCS offers eight undergraduate minors. Accepted and enrolled undergraduate students interested in a minor should contact their academic advisor for more information.
Undergraduate Additional Majors
Graduate admissions are handled on a case-by-case basis by SCS's seven degree-granting departments. Policies and procedures may vary. Please see the departmental program links above, or our Master's Programs and Doctoral Programs pages for more information.
- M.S. in Computer Science
- Master of Computational Data Science (with LTI)
- Fifth-Year Master's in Computer Science
- Master of Human-Computer Interaction
- Master of Educational Technology and Applied Learning Science (with Dietrich College)
- M.S. in Product Management (with Tepper School of Business)
- Accelerated Master of Human-Computer Interaction
- Master of Software Engineering
- Master of Software Engineering Online
- Master of Software Engineering - Embedded Systems
- Master of Software Engineering - Scalable Systems
- Master of Information Technology Strategy (with College of Engineering and Dietrich College)
- M.S. in Information Technology - Privacy Engineering
- Master of Computational Data Science (with CSD)
- M.S. in Artificial Intelligence and Innovation
- M.S. in Language Technologies
- M.S. in Intelligent Information Systems
- Ph.D. in Computer Science
- Ph.D. in Computer Science/Neural Basis of Cognition (with CNBC)
- Ph.D. in Computer Science/Dual Degree Portugal
Interdisciplinary Ph.D. tracks:
- Ph.D. in Algorithms, Combinatorics and Optimization (with Tepper and Math)
- Ph.D. in Pure and Applied Logic
- Self-Defined Interdisciplinary Program
- Ph.D. in Language and Information Technologies
- Ph.D. in Language and Information Technologies/Dual Degree Portugal
- Ph.D. in Machine Learning
- Joint Ph.D. in Machine Learning and Public Policy
- Joint Ph.D. in Neural Computation and Machine Learning (with CNBC)
- Joint Ph.D. in Statistics & Machine Learning (with Statistics)
The programs listed below are not administered by the School of Computer Science, but may be of interest to our current and prospective students, and may include SCS coursework. Please contact the School which administers the program for more information.
- Computer Science 3-2 Program (open only to SCS undergraduates)
- Master's of Entertainment Technology