I am a PhD student of the Language Technologies Institute under the School of Computer Science and work with Prof. Jamie Callan on Information Retrieval research. I am currently actively involved in federated search research, investigating the use of selective search to reduce computational costs of searching large web-scale indexes.
Formerly, I graduated from the University of Waterloo majoring in Software Engineering. I have interned at many companies during my undergraduate years, including Google, A9.com, and Sybase. I have also done research in databases and event detection. For more information, please visit my curriculum vitae.
- Yubin Kim, Jamie Callan, Shane Culpepper, Alistair Moffat. Does Selective Search Benefit from WAND Optimization?. In Proceedings of the 38th European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2016). Padua, Italy, 2016.
- Yubin Kim, Kevyn Collins-Thompson, Jaime Teevan. Using the Crowd to Improve Search Result Ranking and the Search Experience. In ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST) special issue on the Crowd in Intelligent Systems, to appear, 2016.
- Zhuyun Dai, Yubin Kim, Jamie Callan. How Random Decisions Affect Selective Distributed Search. In Proceedings of the 38th Annual ACM SIGIR Conference (SIGIR 2015). Santiago, Chile, 2015.
- Yubin Kim, Keyvn Collins-Thompson, Jaime Teevan. Crowdsourcing for Robustness in Web Search In Proceedings of the Twenty Second Text REtrieval Conference (TREC 2013). National Institute of Standards and Technology, special publication. 2013.
- Jaime Teevan, Kevyn Collins-Thompson, Ryen W. White, Susan T. Dumais and Yubin Kim. Slow Search: Information Retrieval without Time Constraints. In Proceedings of the 7th annual Symposium on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval (HCIR 2013). Vancouver, BC, October 2013.
- Yubin Kim, Reyyan Yeniterzi, Jamie Callan. Overcoming Vocabulary Limitations in Twitter Microblogs. In Proceedings of the Twenty First Text REtrieval Conference (TREC 2012). National Institute of Standards and Technology, special publication. 2012.
- George Beskales, Mohamed A. Soliman, Ihab F. Ilyas, Shai Ben-David, Yubin Kim. ProbClean: A probabilistic duplicate detection system. In IEEE 26th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2010), pp.1193-1196. 2010.