RE: Manager Cards

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Steve Knecht
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 3:23 PM
They don't want to pay much, since they want the ability to make their own Mgr cards.  But we've had this discussion.    I understand the reason about the EBS and not wanting to distribute.  However, I am waiting for someone to say it is being put into GEMS or pollbook soon.  I'm assuming there is already an RCR on this.

Creation of manager cards won't be part of GEMS or the poll book.  They will continue to be ordered from McKinney.  We might even eventually key these cards to each customer, though that is not set in stone yet.  If Alameda knew that an administrator from LA could walk into their polls and screw with their machines, they wouldn't be very happy about it I suspect.

The new ballot station and precinct manager will use a new smart card type called a "Poll Worker Card" that is analogous to the AccuVote-OS ender card.  These can be created in the field, and will limit the need for manager cards.  We will also make it impossible to overwrite manager cards, so destroying manager cards in the field should no longer be a problem.

Ken