I am a postdoctoral fellow in
Machine Learning Department
at Carnegie Mellon University.
My general research interest lies in statistical machine learning techniques for problems in computational biology. I am developing structured regression models for disease association and biological network analysis. I am also interested in non-parametric Bayesian models for biological data analysis.
In December 2011, I received my Ph.D in
Computer Science Department at CMU under the advising of
Eric P. Xing.
- Ph.D in Computer Science,
Carnegie Mellon University, Aug 2005 - Dec 2011
- Thesis: Learning Ancestral Genetic Processes using Nonparametric Bayesian Models
- Committee: Eric P. Xing, Zoubin Ghahramani, Russell Schwartz, Kathryn Roeder, Matthew Stephens
- M.S. in Computer Science,
Seoul National University, Mar 2001 - Feb 2003
- Master student in Mathematics, Seoul National University,
Mar 2000 - Feb 2001
- B.S. in Mathematics, Seoul National University,
Mar 1996 - Feb 2000
- Kyung-Ah Sohn and Seyoung Kim. Joint Estimation of Structured Sparsity and Output Structure in Multiple-Output Regression
via Inverse-Covariance Regularization.
The 15th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics
- Seyoung Kim, Kyung-Ah Sohn, Eric P. Xing. A Multivariate Regression Approach to Association Analysis of Quantitative Trait Network,
The Seventeenth International Conference on Intelligence Systems for Molecular Biology
- Kyung-Ah Sohn, Eric P. Xing. A Hierarchical Dirichlet Process Mixture Model For Haplotype Reconstruction From Multi-Population Data,
Annals of Applied Statistics, 2009
- Kyung-Ah Sohn, Eric P. Xing. Spectrum: Joint Bayesian Inference of Population Structure and Recombination Event,
The Fifteenth International Conference on Intelligence Systems for Molecular Biology
- Eric P. Xing, Kyung-Ah Sohn. Hidden Markov Dirichlet Process: Modeling Genetic Recombination in Open Ancestral space,
Bayesian Analysis, Volunn 2, Number 2, 2007
- Won-Sook Lee, Kyung-Ah Sohn. View Influence Analysis and Optimization for Multi-View Face Recognition,
the special issue on Facial Image Processing, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, Volume 2007, 2007
- Kyung-Ah Sohn, Eric P. Xing. Hidden Markov Dirichlet Process Model for Genetic Recombination in Open Ancestral space,
Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 19
- E.P. Xing, K.-A. Sohn, M.I. Jordan and Y.W. Teh. Bayesian Multi-Population Haplotype Inference via a Hierarchical Dirichlet Process Mixture,
Proceedings of the 23st International Conference on Machine
Learning, (ICML 2006)
- Ren Haibing, Kyung-Ah Sohn, SeokCheol Kee.
Automatic 3D Face Modeling with a Single Image and Perspective Projection Model,
IAPR Conference on Machine Vision Applications (MVA 2005), May 16-18, 2005, Tsukuba Science City, Japan.
- Won-Sook Lee, Kyung-Ah Sohn.
Face Recogniton using Computer-Generated Database,
Computer Graphics International 2004 (CGI 2004), June 16-19, 2004, Crete, Greece.
- Won-Sook Lee, Kyung-Ah Sohn.
Database Construction & Recognition for Multi-view face,
The 6th International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (FG 2004),
May 17-19, 2004, Seoul, Korea.
- Kyung-Ah Sohn, B. Juettler, M.-S. Kim and W. Wang.
Computing Distances between Surfaces Using Line Geometry,
Proceedings of Pacific Graphics 2002 (PG 2002), October 15-17, 2002, Beijing, China.
Computer Networks*, Fall 2010
Intermediate Probability, Spring 2008 (Auditing)
Machine Learning, Spring 2008 (TA)
Computer Architecture*, Fall 2007
Algorithms*, Spring 2007
Advanced Topics in Graphical Models: statistical foundations, approximate inference, and Bayesian methods
, Spring 2007
Probabilistic Graphical Models, Fall 2006
Type Systems for Programming Languages*, Fall 2006
Statistical Foundations of
Machine Learning, Spring 2006
and Models for Computational Biology, Spring 2006
Machine Learning*, Fall
- Samsung Advanced Institude of
Technology, Yong-In, Korea
- Feb 2003 - May 2005: Full-time Researcher, Human Computer Interaction Lab/Computing
- Project involved:
- Face Recognition Grand Challenge 2005
- 3D Face Reconstruction from a Single Image
- People Counting System using Stereo Camera
- Multi-view Face Recognition/3D face Descriptor
- Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
- Mar 2001 - Feb 2003: Research Assistant, 3D Geometric Modeling and Processing Lab, School of Computer Science & Engineering
- Mar 2001 - Feb 2003: Teaching Assistant in Engineering Mathematics, Discrete Mathematics (undergraduate level)
and Advanced Graphics (graduate level), School of Computer Science & Engineering
- Mar 2000 - Aug 2000: Teaching Assistant in Advanced Calculus,
Department of Mathematics
- Samsung Advanced Institude of Technology, Yong-In, Korea
- Jan 2000 - Feb 2000: Winter Internship at Computational Science and Engineering lab
- Numerical analysis