|Email:|| akyrola ---- at ---- cs.cmu.edu ||Mobile:|| 1-412-877-7378
||Office:|| GHC 6509.
I am a Ph.D. student (since 2009) at the CMU Computer Science Department. My advisors are Carlos Guestin and
My CV. Company I co-founded back in year 2000: Sulake Corporation.
All CS students should learn to play Go! I am 2 kyu in Finland, US ranking is yet open. There is Go meeting every Wednesday 6.30pm in the University Center by Pittsburgh Go association. I am happy to play or teach Go to anyone interested. On KGS server I play (not much) with nick kyrpoff.
- I was awarded the VMWare Ph.D. fellowship for 2013-2014 to continue my research on GraphChi!
- I did a research internship at the Personalization and Recommendations team at Twitter during Fall 2012.
- Y. Low, J. Gonzalez, A. Kyrola, D. Bickson, C. Guestrin, and J.M. Hellerstein. Distributed GraphLab: A Framework for Machine Learning in the Cloud. PVLDB 5(8):716-727, 2012.
- Download PDF
- GraphLab webpage
R. Cheng, J. Hong, Aapo Kyrola, Y. Miao, X. Weng, M. Wu, F. Yang, L.Zhou, F. Zhao, E. Chen: Kineograph: Taking the Pulse of a Fast-Changing and Connected World. EUROSYS 2012.
- Yucheng Low, Joseph Gonzalez, Aapo Kyrola, Danny Bickson, Carlos Guestrin. GraphLab: A New Framework for Parallel Machine Learning. Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI), 2010. PDF
- GraphLab webpage
Projects and Software
- Callahan-Kosaraju algorithm for nearest neighbor search (class project for Algorithms in the Real World): report code (C++, CILK++).
I was Teaching Assistant on class 15-210: Parallel and Sequential Data Structures and Algorithms.
I gave a lecture on William Cohen's class Machine Learning with Large Datasets about Large-Scale Graph Computing: Slides.
- 15-740 Computer Architecture, instructor: Todd Mowry, Fall 2009
- 15-781 Machine Learning, instructor: Carlos Guestrin, Fall 2009
- 10-702 Statistical Machine Learning, instructors: Larry Wassermann, John Lafferty, Spring 2010
- 10-725 Optimization, instructors: Carlos Guestrin, Geoff Gordon, Spring 2010
- 10-853 Algorithms in the Real World, instructor: Guy Blelloch, Fall 2011
- 10-712 Advanced Operating Systems and Distributed Systems, instructor: David G. Andersen, Spring 2011
- 10-812 Semantics of Programming Languages, instructor: Stephen Brookes, Spring 2011
- 15-750 Graduate Algorithms, instructor: Manuel Blum, Spring 2012
- Teaching assistant on 210 Sequential and Parallel Data Structures and Algorithms, instructor: Guy Blelloch, Fall 2011