RE: AVTS-R6 Demonstration Module

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rcr@gesn.com [mailto:owner-rcr@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Nel Finberg
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 4:49 PM
To: rcr@gesn.com
Subject: Re: AVTS-R6 Demonstration Module

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 2:26 PM

To clarify, Johnson county uses the "count test" mode so they do not have to reprogram demonstration voter cards.  They use a dummy "famous names" type of ballot on a separate station for demonstration.  They also do not use Spyrus.

It seems we have three options.

Card Manager option:    Set the demonstrator machine into election mode.  Could we allow for multiple elections with the upcoming card manager?  The poll workers could then recreate voter cards for the demonstration unit at will and also be able to use the same card manager for the current election.  (Jurisdictions which use Spyrus can now program the demonstration voter card into the Spyrus in addition to the voter cards for the current election)
With the possibility of multiple elections supported on the Card Manager, I can just see the voter getting a ballot for the wrong election.  The more options present, the more potential confusion.  Providing extra options at the polling place is bound to confuse more people than the number of people actually wanting to take advantage of the feature.
A separate Touch Screen unit is used for the demonstration election (this database is independent and obscure from the current election database).  If the voter is given a wrong card, the card will not work.  Instructing poll workers to turn on a unit and navigate to use the "count test" mode has proven confusing.  Instructing a poll worker to create a special voter card for an individual machine used only for demonstrations seems easier.

GEMS option:    Define the election as "Demonstration" in GEMS.  When so defined, the Touch Screen unit should allow multiple use of a voter card when in election mode.  "DEMONSTRATION ELECTION" should be displayed on the "Insert Ballot" screen, if not all screens.
Are you saying that GEMS should allow for parallel ballots, one set for voting and the other for demonstration?  Or two separate databases are configured, one with the actual election and one demo, the touch screen units supporting voter cards for both?  ... 'Demonstration' would have to be displayed boldly on every screen.  How about VIBS?  Should every race header on the demo audio ballot include text indicating that the ballot is demo?

Nel
If a machine is given the capability to reuse voter cards it must be clearly identified as a demonstration unit.  I suggest this in the event a database set for demonstration accidentally could be readily identified.  Identifying it on every screen or every office in VIBS would be unnecessary.

An entirely separate database should be used for creating a demonstration ballot.  A proper demonstration ballot should have little or no similarity to any offices or candidates in a given jurisdiction.
[Steve Ricke]
Ballot Station option:    Place a "Demonstration" button on the instruction page.  When the voter presses this, go through an animated sequence such as a hand and finger voting a nonsense ballot, returning on its own back to the instruction page.

Steve Ricke