From: Jeff Hintz
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 4:20 PM
Subject: RE: Ability to have the AccuVote sort Over votes & Challenged

Attached is a mock up database with the format of what they want the ballot to look like.  I am working on the final database, and waiting for final cosmetics from Juan, who is in currently in Puerto Rico.  However, with this mock database, you can at least see what Puerto Rico is trying to accomplish.

Here is the following of what Puerto Rico wants the AccuVote to do:
  • If a voter does not fill in any of the ovals on the ballot, then the AccuVote will Sort it in the Ballot Box and tally it as a BLN
  • If a voter fills in more than one oval on the ballot, then the AccuVote will Sort it in the Ballot Box and tally it as a OTR
  • If a voter fills in the Write-In candidate on the ballot, then the AccuVote will Sort it in the Ballot Box and tally it as a OTR
  • If the Poll Worker marks the oval on the back of the ballot under RECUSACION DE ELECTOR, then the AccuVote will ignore all marks on the front of the ballot, then Sort it in the Ballot Box and tally it as a NAD - (This is their version of a Challenge Voter).  As you can see in the database, I have made a separate Race for this with a Write-In Candidate, so it will sort in the Ballot Box.  If there is a better way of doing this, then let me know.
Below is the format for the AccuVote report, based on the data above, and this is the way they would like it to print out:

Same Information at top
as before.  Then the following:

************************
** Precincto:         **
** XXXXXXXXXXXXX **  XXXXXXXXXXXXX = Report Precinct Name not ID - Need 1.95 ROM version
************************
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   XXXXXXXXXXXXX = Race Name

XXXXXXXXXXXXX      0  XXXXXXXXXXXXX = Candidate Name
XXXXXXXXXXXXX      0  XXXXXXXXXXXXX = Candidate Name
XXXXXXXXXXXXX      0  XXXXXXXXXXXXX = Candidate Name
XXXXXXXXXXXXX      0  XXXXXXXXXXXXX = Candidate Name

OTR                      = Times Overvoted & Write-Ins
NAD                      0  = No Adjudicado - (Challenged)
BLN                      0  = Blanks

Firma de Funcionarios

Jeff Hintz
Diebold Election Systems