Re: Challenge Board Error in GEMS 1.17.17 and above

Support for Challenge Vote Center has been added to GEMS-1-17-18. Please try GEMS 1-17-18 or 1-17-19.

Dmitry
----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Hintz
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 10:28 AM
Subject: Challenge Board Error in GEMS 1.17.17 and above

In GEMS 1.17.17, I am able to Select a Vote Center, the Challenge Votes come up, then I can click the Review and Accepted boxes, however when I click the Post button I get the following error:

In GEMS 1.17.19 and above, as soon as I click Select in the Challenge Board window and choose any Vote Center, I get the following error:

JEFF HINTZ
Global Election Systems

A follow up to this because I know that we are going to have to face this at metamor when we certify 1.17.18.  The GEMS challenge board is basically brain damaged.  I have a strong desire to just remove the menu item from 1.17, but saying we do challenge processing is a necessary bullet item in places so it stays for the time being.  Some time in the mythical future we are going to have to take challenge voter processing seriously, and that is going to take a rewrite of the challenge dialog.

In the mean time, here is the problem and the fix for 1.17.18.  The challenge board for AVTS is designed to work like central count with paper ballots.  Imagine challenge ballots as if they were paper ballots counted on an AccuVote-OS.  You would bring those paper ballots to election central, determine those that pass muster, and then feed them through a central count vote center.  That vote center would be set up with all report precincts for the election.

Challenge ballots work the same.  You have to set up a vote center and counter group to count the challenge ballots into.  To do this, create a new counter group "challenge" and in the default vote center for the counter group, change the count method to "challenge".  If this is the only vote center with the challenge count method, the challenge board dialog will automatically count ballots into that vote center.  Nel, please update the documentation to clarify this.

The root of the exception below is that a vote center was chosen that has no report precincts.  That is like starting central count on a vote center with no precincts -- nothing will count.  If you follow the above directions, you will not run into this problem.