RE: BS4-1-1-0 Vibs dialog enunciating wrong canidate names

From: owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Jeff Hallmark
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 11:45 AM

I had hoped the primary message would block further interrupts from keyboard buffer, and that we would only over ride the "normal" behavior once with additional verbiage,
that happening when 2ndary messages are interrupted, keeping audio to a minimum...
jwh

Ahh, I follow now (and thanks for keeping on this).  Yes, I considered blocking the keypad for certain actions back during design, but I don't think it works.  The problem is that people expect immediate feedback when they do something.  If you block the keypad, then people instinctively start repeatedly hitting the key they expect to do something, which isn't good.  Once a voter has got the hang of things they aren't going to let "you have chosen to vote for Ken Clark" play in its entirety.  They hear "you have chosen" and they know the action was taken.  Then they press 6 and go on with their business.

Its all a design thing.  I could be wrong.  Lets add the audio feeback (probably a beep-like tone) and see how it goes.  Even as it stands its pretty hard to be "confused" by the next candidate being played.  The user is in a context where they expect it to play -- they just hit the next candidate key.

Ken