GEMS 1.9.6 is
the first public release to support
the AccuVote TS. We will make a public
AVTS 3.4.1 release shortly. Here are
the relevant GEMS files and passwords:
New this GEMS
release is the TSText subdirectory. You will need to unzip TSText similar
to GEMS-Reports. Databases created with GEMS
1.9.1 through 1.9.5 pre-releases will not be compatible with 1.9.6. 1.8.x
and earlier databases should however upgrade to cleanly to
GEMS 1.9.6 should be used only with AccuVote-TS
3.4.x. As features are added to the AccuVote-TS, the protocol between GEMS
and the AccuTouch is likely to change. Until the AccuTouch-TS protocol
stabilizes, you will need to be careful about using matching GEMS and TS
releases. We will include
compatibility information as we make new GEMS and TS
GEMS 1.9.x and
AccuVote-TS 3.4.x contains enough functionality to run simple
elections. The GEMS integration is a work in progress and
there are many features not yet implemented or have rough edges. The large
projects remaining are:
- There currently
isn't any version or consistency checking on upload. Right now results
can upload will upload multiple times, instead of being rejected like the
AccuVote. Results will be overwritten (not accumulated) so this is not
in general too critical in a small election. The current Poll Book is
basically a hack that will need reworking.
- Tracking write-in
text. The names voters write-in are recorded by the TS, but not
uploaded to GEMS currently.
voters. The TS has the capability of recording ballots from challenged
voters but not including those ballots in the election night totals produced
at the polls. Those ballots will need to be added to the upload
protocol, and a subsystem to manage those ballots added to
There are a number
of smaller features that are also not complete. These will be added at a
fairly rapid pace:
- Multi-Card paper
ballots (ie all races must fit on one card, even if paper ballots aren't
elections that also need paper ballots. Can be worked around with
elections that have party by-lines.
- Changing the number
of columns on the TS ballot. Can be worked around with
- Multiple ballots
per report precinct (split precincts and closed primaries).
- Party Preference
Races and Recall Races (Straight Party works).
- Greater than around
250 candidates in the election.
features or bugs are fair game for the rcr and bugtrack mailing lists
respectively, although we ask you to tread lightly until the code has a chance
to dry. Many features are not yet well
tested, so make sure to do extensive L&A tests. We have run three
successful elections on pre-releases of the integrated system, and expect
to have many more.
- Changed label "VoteFor" to "Vote For" in HTML Precinct Summary report.
- New GEMS menu: "Program Mem Cards v2" which is used to program AccuVote-TS
- Support AccuVote-TS 3.4.1 download protocol.
- Multi language support for AccuVote-TS.
- Re-work of Ballot Station text. Requires new directory TSText which stores
- Download rich text for voter groups (use with Straight Party on
AccuVote-TS). No support for editing the rich text yet.
- Support download of write-in candidates.
- Support download of AccuVote-TS ballot layout. No editor to modify these
- Improved network communication error handling.
- Disable vote center’s ID, region, race filter set, number of memory cards,
and count method after election is set.
- Correctly filter the ballot and cards by report precinct category in the
list controls and pre-election reports.
- Change error reported by manual entry for non-existent counters from "Vote
Center is not in this region" to "No Counters Available to Modify"
- Report error "Missing Endorsement Race" in Program Memory Cards when a
recount is performed and the endorsement race is missing from the recount race
- Fixed bug in summary of card quantity. Card Precinct IDs are determined
correctly for vote centers that don't need them.
- Clear the deck list in the central count dialog when the server is
- Fix bug where user was not warned to save the artwork when a race or
header was moved in the ballot or card editors.
- Fixed bug in calculating oval positions when using candidate justification
and candidate margins.
- Added AccuVote-TS support for multi-line election titles.
- Added support for No Votes Cast warning on AccuVote-TS.
- This upgrade will add AccuVote-TS instruction headers to GEMS database for
editing. These headers are now included in the AccuVote-TS download
- Race and candidate labels can again be changed after set-for-election. The
1.7.4 behavior is restored (1.7.5).
- Database loading will be performed normally, and the user has to provide
the password upon opening.
- Improve posting and central count performance.
- Closing central count dialog while running now cleanly stops the ports.
- Fix bug in switching central count vote centers.
- Adding report precincts to any report precinct category will be prohibited
- Fix "too few parameters" bug when deleting rotation districts.
- Added a locale id field to each language.
- Fixed UI behavior in Region and Language editors.
- Fixed bug where central count decks would appear in download dialog.
- Don't print card id text outside cut marks on artwork printed without
seperate ovals set.