Re: Ballot Station 4.3.11 Fatal Error Message

Rob,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Chen" <robertc@dieboldes.com>
To: <support@dieboldes.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 5:48 PM
Subject: Ballot Station 4.3.11 Fatal Error Message

> Hi,
>
> This message came up on one of our early voting AVTS units running BS
> 4.3.11.
>
> "Fatal Error: Failed to set registry entry EnableDHCP.  System will
> Shutdown"
>
> Pressing "OK" on the dialogue window, shuts down the AVTS unit but the
> message reappears when the unit restarts.  We turned off the unit and so
far
> (4 hours) the message has not returned.

I assume you mean after turning the unit on again?

> Why does the message appear?

I cannot find anywhere in the source code that could create this message,
nor do I know why this would happen.
In theory the only time the EnableDHCP registry is accessed is when a new
NIC card is inserted or when you run the network control panel and change
the settings.

> This unit is an early voting unit and is one of the units I have run
> extensive tests on.  I have probably used it before, with a PCMCIA NIC
card
> so I can accept it if the answer to my question is that I have stuck a NIC
> card into that machine.
>
> It is a bigger problem though, if all of our 4000 AVTS units have the
> possibility of getting that message on the election day, in the field.
>
> Take care,
>
> rob chen

Tab