Uploading on a fax line at the central office

I've got a small customer in Calhoun County, Florida (12 AV-OS units) that would like to use one (1) modem on the central office fax line for receiving uploads to the central host computer on election night.

Does anybody know of any problem with doing that?

This is a Florida account, so I assume that VTS is the program to be used until GEMS is certified.

My concern is "what happens to VTS when a receiving modem gets fax-type data instead of AccuVote data?".
Does VTS crash?
Do you have to reset the upload server?
Does it ignore it and do nothing at all?

Anybody?

Ian