"The Semantics of Adjective Noun Phrases in the Human Brain"
A. Fyshe, G. Sudre, L. Wehbe
, N. Rafidi, T. M. Mitchell
"Mapping neural activity to language meaning"
L. Wehbe, A. Fyshe, T. Mitchell
Human Language: from Genes and Brains to Behavior, MIT Press (to appear).
"Decoding Language from the Brain"
B. Murphy, L. Wehbe, A. Fyshe
Language, Cognition, and Computational Models, Cambridge University Press, 2018.
"Regularized Brain Reading with Shrinkage and Smoothing"
, A. Ramdas, R. C. Steorts, C. R. Shalizi
Annals of Applied Statistics, 2015.
"Nonparametric Independence Testing for Small Sample Sizes"
*, A. Ramdas* (equal contribution)
Proceedings of the 2015 International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI, oral presentation)
"A Compositional and Interpretable Semantic Space"
A. Fyshe, L. Wehbe
, P. Talukdar, B. Murphy and T. Mitchell
Proceedings of the 2015 Conference of the North American Chapter of the ACL, chosen for oral presentation
"Aligning context-based statistical models of language with
brain activity during reading"
, A. Vaswani, K. Knight, T. Mitchell
Proceedings of the 2014 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing
(EMNLP, long paper).
supporting website pdf conference talk video bibtex
"Tracking neural coding of perceptual and semantic features of concrete nouns"
G. Sudre, D. Pomerleau, M. Palatucci, L. Wehbe
, A. Fyshe, R. Salmelin and T. Mitchell
journal website pdf bibtex
posters, workshop papers and demos
"Deep multi-view representation learning of brain responses to natural stimuli"
L. Wehbe*, A. Nunex-Elizalde*, A. Huth, F. Deniz, N. Bilenko, J. Gallant.
Cognitive Computational Neuroscience, CCN 2017 poster..
"BOLD predictions: automated simulation of fMRI experiments"
, A. Huth, F. Deniz, M. Kieseler, J. Gallant.
Organization for Human Brain Mapping, OHBM 2017 poster and talk.
NIPS 2016 demonstration track.
"Neural activity in the fronto-temporal language system predicts online language comprehension difficulty"
L. Wehbe, I. Blank, K. Mahowald, R. Furell, S. Piantadosi, H. Tily, J. Gallee, A. Vishnevetsky, E. Gibson, N. Kanwisher, E. Fedorenko
Society for the Neurobiology of Language, SNL 2015 poster.
"The dynamics of information integration in the brain during story reading"
L. Wehbe, A. Vaswani, K. Knight, T. Mitchell
Society for the Neurobiology of Language, SNL 2014 poster.
"Tracking story reading in the brain"
L. Wehbe, P. Talukdar, B. Murphy, A. Fyshe, G. Sudre, T. Mitchell
NIPS 2012 Workshop in Machine Learning and Interpretation in NeuroImaging, paper, chosen for oral presentation.
"Decoding Word Semantics from Magnetoencephalography Time Series Transformations"
A. Fyshe L. Wehbe, B. Murphy, T. Mitchell
NIPS 2012 Workshop in Machine Learning and Interpretation in NeuroImaging, paper..
selected press coverage
- Interviewed for the book Artificial Intelligence: Teaching Machines to Think Like People, O'Reilly Media 2017
- Harry Potter reveals secrets of the brain, Science News for Students 2015
- Lab-coated Muggles use Harry Potter to study brain, Associated Press 2014
- Reading Harry Potter Provides Clues to Brain Activity, Time 2014
- How our Brains Process Books, Scientific American 2014
- Scans map the brain as people read ‘Harry Potter’, Futurity 2014
- Reading Leaves a Dramatic Imprint on the Brain, Bioscience Technology 2014
- Episode 29, NSF Science Now
- What Harry Potter Can Teach Us About Neuroscience, Huffington Post 2014
- Reading Harry Potter: Carnegie Mellon Researchers Identify Brain Regions That Encode Words, Grammar, Character Development, CMU press release 2014