I am a PhD student in the Computation, Organizations, and Society (COS) program at the Institute for Software Research (ISR) in the School of Computer Science (SCS). Professor Norman Sadeh is my advisor.
I am also a certified information privacy manager (CIPM). I help small and medium size businesses as well as non-profit organizations developing their privacy programs. If you are interested, contact me at: hazim at cs dot cmu dot edu
My research centers broadly on usable privacy and security. In particular, I use quantitative, qualitative, and machine learning techniques to explore privacy and security challenges in online social networks, mobile computing, and web browsers with emphasis on user experience.
I am primarily supported by a scholarship from the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST). My work has also been supported by the NSF, Google, and Samsung.
What is new?
- Our paper on Personalized Privacy Assistant received the IAPP SOUPS Privacy Award. (06/23/2016).
- Our paper on Personalized Privacy Assistant has been accepted for publication at SOUPS2016. (05/11/2016).
- I presented and successfully passed my thesis proposal entitled: "Helping Users Manage their Privacy through Nudges." (12/02/2015)
- Our paper on Mobile App Privacy Nudging received some nice press coverage: Wall Street Journal , Wired , CMU SCS News (03/23/2015).
- Our paper on Mobile App Privacy Nudging has been accepted for publication at CHI2015. (12/14/2014).
- Our paper "Your Reputation Precedes You: History, Reputation and the Chrome Malware Warning" got accepted at SOUPS 2014 (05/05/2014).
- Our paper "Experimenting At Scale With Google Chrome's SSL Warning" received an honorable mention award at CHI 2014, here (03/12/2014).
- Our paper "Experimenting At Scale With Google Chrome's SSL Warning" got accepted at CHI 2014 (12/10/2013).
- Our paper "Tweets Are Forever" is featured in an article about deleted tweets by politicians on DW, here (04/07/2013)
- Received Google App Engine Research Award. It is a $60K Google App Engine credits, here (02/12/2013).
- I am going to be an intern at Google this summer working with the Chrome security team. Very excited!(04/1/2013)
- I am going to present our paper (Tweets Are Forever) at CSCW2013 in San Antonio, TX (02/18-20/2013).