HHsim: Graphical Hodgkin-Huxley Simulator
HHsim is a graphical simulation of a section of excitable neuronal
membrane using the Hodgkin-Huxley equations. It provides full access
to the Hodgkin-Huxley parameters, membrane parameters, stimulus
parameters, and ion concentrations.
To learn about the Hodgkin-Huxley equations, see:
In contrast with NEURON or GENESIS, which are vastly more
sophisticated research tools, HHsim is simple educational software
designed specifically for graduate or undergraduate neurophysiology
courses. The user interface can be mastered in a couple of minutes
and provides many ways for the student to experiment.
HHsim is free software distributed under the GNU General Public License. The official HHsim
web site is at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/HHsim.
The online documentation, including sample screen shots, is available on this web
site, and also included with the program when you download it. Also
included are sample exercises that use
Download HHsim Now HHsim is available as a Windows or
MacOS executable file that does not require a Matlab license. Source
code is included. It is also available in source-only form; use that
version on Linux. The latest release of HHsim is version 3.6,
released in March/July 2017.
Installation Instructions (version 3.6)
- Unzip hhsim_36_win.zip to a directory of your choice.
- Run HHsim_36.exe, which is the HHsim installer. You must have Administrator rights on the machine
in order to run the installer.
- Ignore the "Connection" option and just keep pressing the "Next" button.
- The installer will first install the MATLAB Runtime Component,
allowing you to run standalone MATLAB applications. It will then install HHSim and
leave an icon on your desktop.
- You are now ready to use HHSim.
Mac (Intel Architecture):
- Please run HHsim from source. You will need to install MATLAB first.
- Unzip HHsim3_6_Mac.zip into the directory of your choice.
- Use the MCR_Installer dmg to install the MATLAB Runtime
Component, allowing you to run standalone MATLAB applications. NOTE:
be sure to use the default location:
Use the HHSim dmg to install HHsim.
Sample screen shot:
Click here for HHsim User's Guide
This work was supported in part by National Science Foundation grant
DGE-9987588. Any opinions, conclusions, or recommendations expressed
herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the
views of the National Science Foundation.
Last modified: Mon Jul 31 17:29:49 EDT 2017