I am a third year PhD student at Language Technologies Institute, School of Computer Science, advised by Roni Rosenfeld. My research focuses on the use of Speech and Language Technologies to aid socio-economic development all around the world.
Our recent project, Polly, employs voice-based viral entertainment to familiarize low-literate portions of Pakistani population to telephone-based speech interfaces. The main goal is to popularize telephone and speech based interfaces and to train the general population in their use. This paves the way for the introduction of development related services.
6414 Gates and Hillman Centers
5000 Forbes Ave,
Pittsburgh, PA, 15213
- Agha Ali Raza, Farhan Ul Haq, Zain Tariq, Umar Saif and Roni Rosenfeld, Spread and Sustainability: The Geography and Economics of Speech-Based Services. In ACM DEV, January 11-12, 2013.(Download Extended Abstract)
- Agha Ali Raza, Farhan Ul Haq, Zain Tariq, Mansoor Pervaiz, Samia Razaq, Umar Saif and Roni Rosenfeld, Job Opportunities through Entertainment: Virally Spread Speech-Based Services for Low-Literate Users, in Proceedings of the 2013 ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. April 27-May 2, 2013, Paris, France.(Download Extended Version)
- Agha Ali Raza, Mansoor Pervaiz, Christina Milo, Samia Razaq, Guy Alster, Jahanzeb Sherwani, Umar Saif and Roni Rosenfeld, Viral entertainment as a vehicle for disseminating speech-based services to low-literate users, in Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD '12). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 350-359. DOI=10.1145/2160673.2160715 http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/2160673.2160715.
- Agha Ali Raza, Sarmad Hussain, Huda Sarfraz, Inam Ullah, Zahid Sarfraz, An ASR System for Spontaneous Urdu Speech, Oriental COCOSDA 2010 conference, Nov. 24-25, 2010, Katmandu, Nepal.
- Huda Sarfraz, Sarmad Hussain, Riffat Bokhari, Agha Ali Raza, Inam Ullah, Zahid Sarfraz, Sophia Pervez, Asad Mustafa, Iqra Javed, Rahila Parveen, Speech Corpus Development for a Speaker Independent Spontaneous Urdu Speech Recognition System, Oriental COCOSDA 2010 conference, Nov. 24-25, 2010, Katmandu, Nepal.
- Huda Sarfraz, Sarmad Hussain, Riffat Bokhari, Agha Ali Raza, Inam Ullah, Zahid Sarfraz, Sophia Pervez, Asad Mustafa, Iqra Javed, Rahila Parveen, Large Vocabulary Continuous Speech Recognition for Urdu, International conference on the Frontiers of Information Technologies, December 21-23, 2010, Islamabad, Pakistan.
- Agha Ali Raza, Master of Science (Computer Science) thesis on Design and Development of an Automatic Speech Recognition System for Urdu, June 2009.
- Agha Ali Raza, Sarmad Hussain, Huda Sarfraz, Inam Ullah, Zahid Sarfraz, Design and development of phonetically rich Urdu speech corpus, Proceedings of O-COCOSDA'09 and IEEE Xplore; O-COCOSDA'09, 10-13 Aug 2009, School of Information Science and Engineering of Xinjiang University, Urunqi, China (URL: http://o-cocosda2009.xju.edu.cn).
- Agha Ali Raza, Awais Athar, and Sajid Nadeem, N-GRAM Based Authorship Attribution in Urdu Poetry, Proceedings of the Conference on Language and Technology 2009 (CLT09), Lahore, Pakistan, Jan 2009 (URL: http://www.crulp.org/clt09/index.htm).
- Agha Ali Raza, Zulfiqar Habib, Manabu Sakai, Interpolation with rational cubic spirals, Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies (IEEE Catalog No. CFP08617, ISBN: 978-1-4244-2211-1, Library of Congress: 2008901427), Rawalpindi, Pakistan, Oct. 2008.
- Agha Ali Raza, Asma Zaib, Sana Altaf, Zulfiqar Habib, On a Special case of path planning, Proceedings of the 7th CIIT Workshop on Research in Computing (ISBN: 978-969-8779-18-4), Lahore, Pakistan, June 2008 (URL: www.ciitlahore.edu.pk).
|Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA||Teaching Assistant of 15-211||Dec 2011 - May 2011|
|FAST-NU, Lahore||Lecturer, Department of Computer Science||Aug 2009 - to date (on study leave)|
|FAST-NU, Lahore||Instructor, Department of Computer Science||Jul 2005 - Jul 2009|
Courses Taught at FAST-NU
- Computer Architecture
- Advanced Computer Architecture
- Computer Organization & Assembly Language
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Embedded Systems (Lab)
- Microprocessor Interfacing (Lab)
- Computer Organization & Architecture (Lab)
- Computer Logic & Design (Lab)