15-418/15-618: Parallel Computer Architecture and Programming, Fall 2018
From smart phones, to multi-core CPUs and GPUs, to the world's largest
supercomputers, parallel processing is ubiquitous in
modern computing. The goal of this course is to provide a deep
understanding of the fundamental principles and engineering trade-offs
involved in designing modern parallel computing systems as well as to
teach parallel programming techniques necessary to effectively utilize
these machines. Because writing good parallel programs requires an
understanding of key machine performance characteristics, this course
will cover hardware design and how that affects software design.
- 24 August 2018.
We have a very large waiting list for the course. Our maximum enrollment is 98,
limited by the size of the lecture room. Our procedure for managing the waitlist will be as follows:
- Waitlisted students will have the opportunity to work on Assignment 1 and turn it in by 11:59pm Wednesday, September 5th. Autolab accounts will not be needed.
- We will grade these assignments and register the top-performing students for the course by the add deadline (Wednesday, September 5th).
- Performance on Assignment 1 will be the primary factor in determining who gets off the waitlist.
- This is not a race.The order in which people submit their solutions will have little impact.
- Please do not contact the instructors in an attempt to circumvent this process.
- Meanwhile, if you are registered for the course but have doubts about your ability to complete the course, please drop it by Sept 5th. Working on Assignment 1 will give you a good indication of our expectations for the course.
Prerequisites: 15-213, 15-513, 18-213, or 18-600
||See the course syllabus for details (below is just a few overview bits).
||MW 9:00-10:20a HH B131
||F 9:00-10:20a SH 125
|| 12 units
||There are four programming assignments, not evenly weighted. See
the assignments page for
||There will be two exams (in-class, closed-book).
||Piazza, office hours
||tcm at cs
||bpr at cs
| Office Hours