This document walks you through your first 15-211 assignment. First, you will choose an environment for completing assignments. Then, we will show you how to use FrontDesk, the grading system used by this course.
Getting your enviroment set up
To complete this course, you will need to have a Java environment to do a series of programming assignments.Two choices are offered for setting this up. We encourage you to adopt the first of these, but both are available. Select the best one that fits your circumstances.
Even if you have used Java and Eclipse before please read through the instructions. This semester, there may have been some upgrades in the versions used.
Do It Yourself
Most students choose to set up the Java environment on their own laptop or desktop, so that they may work from the comfort of their own home. The course staff will try to help you troubleshoot any issues that you have, but understand that there might be unforseen problems with your computer that we may not be able to fix.
You'll need to install the following software. Google for each item to find instructions for your operating system. Where a version number is specified, that version is required.
- JDK 6 (choose the plain JDK download, without netbeans or Java EE)
- Eclipse (we recommend the classic version)
We also strongly recommend the following tools:
In the Clusters
If you don't have a computer, or feel like using those provided by the school, we support using the clusters. Make sure you go to a cluster that has Eclipse installed. Questions about the clusters can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To configure Eclipse in the cluster, you need to do the following steps:
- Select Window | Preferences
- Now, on the left, select "Compiler". Ensure "Compiler compliance level" to "6.0."
- You're done configuring Eclipse; you can click "OK."
Please use latex to complete the written assignments which accompany every programming assigment. We will include a latex outline which you can complete for each assigment. We will support the following configurations:
- Windows: [install miktex] Follow the setup instructions to install a latex environment. [install TEXnicCenter] Download and run the installer.
- Mac: [install texshop] See the second heading, "Obtaining TeXShop and TeX Live".
- Linux: [texmaker] We recommend you install through your package manager, which will handle latex dependencies.
Latex HelloWorld!Open a new file and enter the contents:
Hello World! $123$ %(this is a comment)surround math verbiage with '$'
- in Texmaker(linux) Save as "HelloWorld", then go to Tools | Build, and then if the pdf doesn't open, Tools | View pdf.
- in TEXnicCenter(windows) Save as "HelloWorld", then go to Buid | Current File | Build, and then Build | View Output.
- in texshop(mac) Simply select typeset and save as "HelloWorld".
Completing the first assignment
You will complete your assignments though an automated submission system known as FrontDesk.
Access FrontDesk though the Assignments tab on the 15-211 website. From there click the
link on the hw0 item under Assignments. Then click the assignment documentation link. This document
will describe how to complete the assignment.