Some Papers by Stephen F. Smith on the Web
- Smith, S.F., "Is Scheduling a Solved Problem?", Invited Keynote Talk, Proceedings First Multi-Disciplinary International Conference on Scheduling: Theory and Applications (MISTA 03), Nottingham, UK, August 2003.
Partial Order Scheduling
- Policella, N., S.F. Smith, A. Cesta and A. Oddi, "Generating Robust Schedules through Temporal Flexibility", to appear is Proceedings 14th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS 04), Whistler CA, June, 2004.
- Policella, N., S.F. Smith, A. Cesta and A. Oddi, "Steps Toward Computing Robust Schedules", Proceedings CP-03 Workshop on Online Constraint Solving: Handling Change and Uncertainty, Cork, Ireland, September, 2003.
- Cesta, A., A. Oddi and S.F. Smith, "A Constraint-Based Method For Project Scheduling with Time Windows", Journal of Heuristics, Volume 8, 2002, pp 109-136.
- Cesta, A., A. Oddi and S.F. Smith, "Iterative Flattening: A Scalable Method for Solving Multi-Capacity Scheduling Problems", Proceedings National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-00), Austin, TX, July, 2000.
- Cesta, A., A. Oddi and S.F. Smith, "Greedy Algorithms for the Multi-Capacitated Metric Scheduling Problem", Proceedings 1999 European Conference on Planning, UK, September, 1999.
- Cesta, A., A. Oddi and S.F. Smith, "An Iterative Sampling Procedure for
Resource Constrained Project Scheduling with Time Windows, Proceedings 16th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Stockholm, Sweden, August, 1999.
Cesta, A., A. Oddi and S.F. Smith, "Scheduling Multi-Capacitated
Resources under Complex Temporal Constraints", CMU Robotics Institute Technical
Report CMU-RI-TR-98-17, June 1998 [poster version appeared in 4th International
Conference on Principles of Constraints, October, 1998.]
- Cesta, A., A. Oddi and S.F. Smith, "Profile-Based Algorithms to Solve Multi-Capacitated
Metric Scheduling Problems", Proceedings 4th International Conference
on Artificial Intelligence Planning Systems, Pittsburgh, PA, June,
- Oddi, A. and S.F. Smith,
Procedures for Generating Feasible Schedules",
Proceedings 14th National Conference on Artificial Intelligence
(AAAI-97), July, 1997.
- Cheng, C. and S.F. Smith, Applying Constraint Satisfaction
Techniques to Job-Shop Scheduling (The Long Version), Robotics Institute Technical Report
CMU-RI-TR-95-03, January, 1995. [Published in Annals of Operations Research, Vol. 70, Special Issue on Scheduling: Theory and Practice, 1997.]
- Cheng, C. and S.F. Smith, A Constraint Posting Framework for Scheduling Under Complex Constraints, Proceedings Joint IEEE/INRIA Conference on Emerging Technologies for Factory Automation, Paris, France, September, 1995.
Incremental, Constraint-Based Scheduling Models
- Kramer, L. and S.F. Smith, "Task Swapping for Schedule Improvement - A Broader Analysis", to appear is Proceedings 14th International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS 04), Whistler CA, June, 2004.
- Kramer, L. and S.F. Smith, "Maximizing Flexibility: A Retraction Heuristic for Over-subscribed Scheduling Problems", 18th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-03), Acapulco Mexico, August, 2003.
- Smith, S.F., M.A. Becker and L Kramer, "Continuous Management of Airlift and Tanker Resources: A Constraint-Based Approach", Mathematical and Computer Modeling: Special Issue on Defense Transportation, To Appear.
- Kramer, L.A. and S.F. Smith, "Optimizing for Change: Mixed-Initiative Resource Allocation with the AMC Barrel Allocator" Proceedings 3rd International NASA Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Space, Houston, TX, October, 2002.
- Becker, M. and S.F. Smith, "Mixed-Initiative Resource Management: The AMC Barrel Allocator", Proceedings 5th International Conference
on Artificial Intelligence Planning and Scheduling (AIPS-2000), Breckenridge, CO, April, 2000.
- Lassila, O., M. Becker and S.F. Smith, "An Exploratory Prototype for Air Medical Evacuation Re-Planning", CMU Robotics Institute Technical Report CMU-RI-TR-96-03, January, 1996.
- S.F.Smith and O.Lassila, Toward the Development of Mixed-Initiative Scheduling systems, Proceedings ARPA-Rome Laboratory Planning Initiative Workshop, Tucson (AZ), 1994.
- S.F. Smith, Reactive Scheduling Systems, in Intelligent Scheduling Systems, (eds. D. Brown and W. Scherer), Kluwer Publishing, 1994.
Scheduling and Planning
- Smith, S.F., D.W. Hildum and D.A. Crimm, "Interactive Resource Management in the Comirem Planner", Proceedings IJCAI-03 Workshop on Mixed-Initiative Intelligent Systems, Acapulco Mexico, August 2003.
- Myers, K., S.F. Smith, D.W. Hildum, P. Jarvis and R. Delacaze, "Integrating Planning and Scheduling through Adaptation of Resource Intensity Estimates", Proceedings 6th European Conference on Planning, Toledo, Spain, September, 2001.
- S.F. Smith ,Integrating Planning and Scheduling: Towards Effective Coordination in Complex, Resource-Constrained Domains, Keynote Address, Proceedings 1993 Italian Planning Workshop, Rome, September, 1993.
Configurable Planning and Scheduling Systems
- Smith, S.F. and M. Becker, "An Ontology for Constructing Scheduling Systems", to appear in Working Notes of 1997 AAAI Symposium on Ontological Engineering, Stanford, CA, March, 1997 (AAAI Press).
- Smith, S.F., O. Lassila and M. Becker, "Configurable, Mixed-Initiative Systems for Planning and Scheduling", in Advanced Planning Technology, (ed.) A. Tate, AAAI Press, Menlo Park, CA, May, 1996, ISBN 0-929280-98-9.
- S.F.Smith and O.Lassila, Configurable Systems for Reactive Production Management, IFIP Transactions B-15, Elsevier Science B.V., 1994.
Stochastic Search Procedures
Distributed, Multi-Agent Scheduling
- D. Goldberg, V. Cicerello, M.B. Dias, R. Simmons, S.F. Smith and T. Stentz, "Market-based Multi-Robot Planning in a Distributed layered Architecture", Proceedings 2nd International Workshop on Mulit-Robot Systems, Washington DC, March, 2003.
- Cicirello, V.A. and S.F. Smith, "Wasp Nests for Self-Configurable Factories", Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Autonomous Agents (Agents '01), ACM Press, May, 2001.
Supply Chain Management
- Li, L. and S.F. Smith, "Speculation Agents for Dynamic, Multi-period Continuous Double Auctions in B2B Exchanges", Proceedings 37th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii, January 2004.
- Swaminathan, J., S.F. Smith and N. Sadeh, "Modeling Supply Chain Dynamics: A Multi-Agent Approach", Decision Sciences,
Vol 29, 1998.
Full publication list (mostly not accessible).