CMU Artificial Intelligence Repository
SymbMath: Symbolic Calculator with Learning
SymbMath (Symbolic Mathematics) is a computer algebra system that can
perform exact numeric, symbolic and graphic computation.
SymbMath can provide analytical and numeric answers for:
- Differentiation: regular or higher order, partial or total,
mixed and implicit differentiation, one-sided derivatives.
- Integration: indefinite or definite integration, multiple
integration, infinity as a bound, parametric or iterated
integration, line or surface integrals, discontinuous or
- Solution of equations: roots of a polynomial, systems of
algebraic or differential equations.
- Manipulation of expressions: simplification, factoring or
expansion, substitution, evaluation.
- Calculation: exact and floating-point numeric computation
of integer, rational, real and complex numbers in the range
from minus to plus infinity, even with different units.
- Limits: real, complex or one-sided limits, indeterminate forms.
- Complex: calculation, functions, derivatives, integration.
- Sum and product: partial, finite or infinite.
- Others: series, lists, arrays, vectors, matrices, tables, etc.
Also included are:
- Plot: functions, polar, parametric, data, and list.
- Draw: lines, arcs, ellipse, circles, ovals.
- Auto-loaded library in the source code.
- Pull-down and pop-up menus, resizable and colorable windows.
- On-line help, and on-line manual.
- Procedural, conditional, iterational, recursive, functional,
rule-based, logic, pattern-matching and graphic programming.
- Database searching.
Requires: IBM PC
Copying: SymbMath comes in three versions: Shareware, Student,
and Advanced. The Shareware version is available by
anonymous ftp; the others are available from the author.
CD-ROM: Prime Time Freeware for AI, Issue 1-1
Author(s): Dr. Weiguang Huang
Dept. Analytical Chemistry
University of New South Wales,
Kensington, Sydney, NSW 2033, Australia
Tel: 61 (0)2-385-4643
Fax: 61 (0)2-662-2835
Authors!Huang, Differentiation, Expression Simplification,
Factoring, Integration, Math, Miscellaneous AI,
Roots of a Polynomial, Shareware, SymbMath,
Last Web update on Mon Feb 13 10:24:39 1995