From Roger Dannenberg's Home Page:
- Nov 10, 2021 Hosting “MIR for Music Education” at ISMIR 2021, 11am-12noon (online)
- Nov 3, 2021 Panel discussion: “Artificial Intelligences & the Future of Creativity” 7pm-8:30pm (online), hosted by City of Asylum, Pittsburgh.
- Oct 22, 2021 Presentation to the International Conference of AI Music,
Central Conservatory of Music, Beijing, China (online).
- Jun 15, 2021 Keynote at NIME 2021, Shanghai, China (online).
- Jan 25, 2021 New book! My Introduction to Computer Music is now available in paperback.
- May 28, 2020 Audacity's 20th Birthday! After over 500M downloads, we've empowered countless users to create music, record podcasts, produce public radio, conduct research, and much more. I co-created Audacity with Dominic Mazzoni at Carnegie Mellon. Our first public release was May 28, 2000.
- February 15-16, 2020 U.S. Premiere of The Mother of Fishes opera, CAPA Theater, Pittsburgh.
- Nov 5-6, 2019 Audacity Team “Unconference” (AU19), Cambridge, England.
- Nov 16, 2019 La Mare dels Peixos opera, Centro Nacional de las Artes, Teatro d las Artes, Mexico City.
- Dec 7, 2019 A Joyful Celebration, Edgewood Symphony concert, First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood, 7:30pm.
- Aug 24, 2019 Soloist with the Edgewood Symphony, 7:30pm, Koenig Field, Edgewood, part of Edgewood Community Day in the park, free fireworks too!
- Jun 1, 2019 Presentation of Soundcool at New York Science Festival, NYC.
- May 28-31, 2019 Presentation at Sound and Music Conference, Malaga, Spain.
- May 16, 2019 Swingtet 8: swing, jazz octet led by Joe Lagnese, 7pm
at North Park Skating Rink area.
- May 9-10, 2019 Valencia, Spain. Two performances of La Mare dels Peixos, an opera co-composed with Jorge Sastre, Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia.
- Apr 29, 2019 Quoted in Scientific American, Machines Can Create Art, but Can They Jam?
- Apr 7, 2019 “365 2018: A (M) Usical Year” by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE, Film with recorded sound and live musicians, Regent Square Theater, 1035 South Braddock Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15218, NOON sharp, with live musicians, Roger Dannenberg, trumpet.
- Apr 6, 2019 Lindsey Goodman performs Dannenbergs’s “Separation Logic” for flute and computer at Louisville Flute Day, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, 10:30am.
- Mar 30, 2019 Lindsey Goodman performs Dannenbergs’s “Separation Logic” for flute and computer at Mansfield University New Music Festival, Steadman Theater, Mansfield, PA, 3pm.
- Dec 8, 2018 The Renaissance City Choir Christmas Concert with Rutter's Gloria, Walter Morales, conducting.
- Dec 6, 2018 Quoted in DiscoverMagazine.com
- Dec 1, 2018 Subsurface concert in a limestone mine with CMU Exploded Ensemble, with McBlare robotic bagpipes.
- Dec 1, 2018 The Edgewood Symphony Edgewood Symphony Christmas Concert with Rutter's Gloria, Walter Morales, conducting.
- Nov 11, 2018 Performance by Kamraton: (one of) “12 Miniatures on Gertrude Stein.”
- Oct 30, 2018 The Mother of Fishes, (opera), performance in Puebla, Mexico, by ITESM.
- Oct 11, 2018 Talk at SOCAP Ohio Presents: Rockin' Artificial Intelligence for your Customer Experience! at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland, 10am to 3pm.
- Sep 28, 2018 Concert with Theremin-player/multi-instrumentalist Eric Ross, with videos by artist Mary Ross, Ken Foley on percussion, Ben Opie on saxophone and electronics, 7:30pm, Kresge Theatre, College of Fine Arts.
- Sep 22, 2018 Lecture, panel, and performance at First Annual Synth Gods M.A.S.S., (Music Automation and Synthesis Symposium), Girard, OH, 10am-5pm.
- Aug, 2018 Workshop and paper presentation at International Computer Music Conference, Daegu, Korea
- May 25, 2018 Science Friday on AI, Robots, and Music.
- Dec 15, 2017 La Mare dels Peixos, opera performance by the original cast, piano version, Valencia, Spain
- Dec 15-19, 2017 Workshops and Lectures at Universitat Politecnica Valencia, Spain.
- Dec 12, 2017 Wallace's Tap Room, 123 N. Highland Ave. Bartlett Street (Jazz Quartet), 7-9pm.
- Dec 2, 2017 The Edgewood Symphony “A Holiday Pops Extravaganza”: music by Holst, Bernstein, Ellington, and more; Walter Morales, conducting.
- Nov 6, 2017 The Mother of Fishes, Act I (opera), performance in Puebla, Mexico, by ITESM. (Also presenting a workshop on computer music there.)
- Oct 23-28, 2017 Keynote speaker at ISMIR 2017, The 18th International Society for Music Information Retrieval Conference, Suzhou, China.
- Oct 15-22, 2017 Presenting a paper at ICMC 2017, the International Computer Music Conference, Shanghai, China.
- Jul 2, 2017 Bach, Beethoven and Brunch Classical Music Series with Edgewood Symphony, Ellington’s “Sophisticated Lady” (Roger Dannenberg, trumpet soloist) and Copland’s “Lincoln Portrait” with Demareus Cooper, Mellon Park, 10:30am-noon.
- June 9, 2017The Music of Robots: Music Automata from Pythagorus to the Future, Universtiy of Texas Forum for AI, 11am, GDC 5.304.
- May 13, 2017 Edgewood Symphony concert, Katz Performing Arts Center, John Wilson's arrangement of Duke Ellington's Sophisticated Lady for full orchestra, Roger Dannenberg, trumpet soloist (and other American music), 7:30pm
- Apr 30, 2017 CMU Laptop Orchestra performance, Frank-Ratchye STUDIO for Creative Inquiry, College of Fine Arts, Carnegie Mellon University, 3pm.
- Apr 28, 2017 The Variety Show, performing an excerpt of new opera "Endangered Languated, Endangered Cultures, Endangered Ideas" by tENTATIVELY a cONVENIENCE, 7pm.
- Mar, 2017 NYU Abu Dhabi Rhythm Workshop
- Feb 9, 2017 Wallace's Tap Room, 123 N. Highland Ave. Bartlett Street (Jazz Quartet),
- Dec 16, 2016 Valencia, Spain. World premiere of La Mare dels Peixos, a one-act opera co-composed with Jorge Sastre.
- Dec 3, 2016 The Edgewood Symphony “American Holiday”: Bach, Magnificat and music by Hovhaness, Chadwick, Ellington, and Strayhorn; Walter Morales, conducting.
- Dec 1, 2016 Kamraton performs "Separation Logic" for flute and computer, by Roger Dannenberg. Sarah Steranka, flute. Irma Freeman Center for Imagination, Lawrenceville. 7:30PM.
- Oct 17, 2016 Soundcool has been awarded by SIMO Education 2016 within Best programming and robotics experience modality!
- Oct 15, 2016 The Edgewood Symphony “An American Dream”: Charles Ives, The Unanswered Question and John Williams, Five Sacred Trees and The Cowboys Overture, Walter Morales, conducting.
- Aug 27, 2016 Edgewood Symphony
concert at Edgewood Community Day, Koenig Field, Edgewood. Dannenberg solos on John Wilson's arrangement of Ellington's Sophisticated Lady.
- May 17, 2016 The
Swingtet 8 at
Jazz Society Concert
- May 7, 2016 The Edgewood Symphony Bach 2nd Brandenburg, Beethoven First Symphony, Respighi Pines of Rome, Walter Morales, conducting.
- May 7, 2016 OPEK at Vietnam Veteran's Pavilion at Schenley Park.
- Apr 12, 2016 Ben Opie's (Jazz) “Concerto” at Kelly-Strayhorn Theater, Pittsburgh.
- Apr 2, 2016 Swingin' with an Angel with Johnny Angel and Swingtet 8 at the Oaks Theater, Oakmont.
- Mar 19, 2016 The Edgewood Symphony Britten, Zahab, and Shostakovich Fifth Symphony, Walter Morales, conducting.
- Mar 7-11, 2016 Workshops, Lecture, and Concert at Universitat Politecnica Valencia, Spain.
- Feb 28-Mar 4, 2016 Dagstuhl Seminar “Computational Music Structure Analysis.”
- Feb 2, 2016 Research Speaker Series, College of Charleston, Computer Science Department: “Music Understanding and Future Music Software,” followed by concert of Dannenberg's compositions at 5pm, with guest artists Regina Yost, flute, and Norbert Lewandowski, cello.
- Dec 5, 2015 The Edgewood Symphony Holiday Concert, Walter Morales, conducting.
- Nov 13, 2015 Johnny Angel and Swingtet 8, Strand Theater,
- Nov 10, 2015 The Space Upstairs, 214 N Lexington St.,
Pittsburgh, PA, 15208. Performance of “RonDodo” for chamber ensemble,
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE.
- Oct 26-30, 2015 International Society for Music Information Retrieval, including performance of “Separation Logic” for trumpet and computer.
- Oct 17, 2015 The Edgewood Symphony Mozart Clarinet Concerto, Mozart Overture to Titus, Schubert Symphony #9 “The Great,” Walter Morales, conducting.
- Oct 6-7, 2015 Lindsey Goodman performs Separation Logic and Dannenberg lectures at Cincinatti Conservatory of Music.
- Sep 25-Oct 1, 2015 International Computer Music Conference.
- Sep 4, 2015 LTI Colloquium Talk, 100 Porter Hall.
- Aug 30, 2015 Music in the Park with the Mon Valley Jazz Ensemble, Palmer Park, Donora, PA.
- Aug 29, 2015 Edgewood Symphony
concert at Edgewood Community Day, Koenig Field, Edgewood.
- Aug 14, 2015 Lindsey Goodman performs “Separation Logic” for flute and computer, National Flute Association Convention.
- May 28, 2015
HAPPY 15th BIRTHDAY TO AUDACITY! Hear a podcast in honor of 15 years since the first release of Audacity.
- May, 2015 Binpress podcast interview: Roger Dannenberg, Co-Creator of Audacity
- May 18-22, 2015 The Acoustical Society of America meeting (Dannenberg gives invited talk
at the Founders Luncheon), Pittsburgh.
- May 3, 2015 The Edgewood Symphony Orchestra, Carnegie Music Hall, Walter Morales, conducting.
- Mar 14, 2015 The Edgewood Symphony Orchestra, Bach, Mozart, and Sibelius 2nd Symphony, Walter Morales, conducting.
- thru Jan, 2015 I am looking for Masters students for the Sound and Music Computing track of the Emerging Media Masters program, beginning fall 2015. Apply now!
- Jan 24, 2015 Electronics and Video performance: "A Catamaran Animist Vigor" by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE (I'm performing custom software on laptop.) Babyland, 3600 Bethoven, Spit'n'Polish Hill, 15213, look for sign on door. $5.
- Jan 23, 2015 Talk on Computer Music at Vanderbilt University.
- Dec 6, 2014 Edgewood Symphony concert, First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood
- Sep 1-5, 2014 Plenary talk at “EUSIPCO'2014: The 22nd European Signal
Processing Conference in Lisbon, Portugal: “Multi-core for
Multi-media: The Changing Landscape for Real-Time Signal Processing.”
- Aug 2, 2014 5:30pm - Washington PA Wine, Jazz and Pops Festival with OPEK
- Jul 30, 2014 7:30pm - North Park Skating Rink - Swingtet 8 free concert in the park.
- Jul 11-12, 2014 Audacity Unconference, UCLan (University of Central Lancashire) in Preston, England.
- Jun 29, 2014 Bach, Beethoven and Brunch Classical Music Series with Edgewood Symphony, Mellon Park, 10:30am-noon.
- June 13-14, 2014 Visit to Northwestern University. CS+X
Colloquium on Friday,
Music Information Retrieval Gathering (MMIRG) on Saturday.
- May 8, 2014 ASA conference, Providence, RI. I'm presenting
“Human-computer music performance: a brief history and future
prospects” and performing a new work: “Separation Logic for
- May 2, 2014 I'll be playing trumpet in Ben Opie's “Concerto for Orkestra” at the New Hazlett theater, 8pm.
- Mar 29, 2014 Performance of “Separation Logic” for flute and computer, Lindsey Goodman, flute. Ohio University's Flute Fest, Athens, OH, 4pm, Robert Gliddon Hall, free and open to the public.
- Mar 22-23, 2014 Swingin' with an Angel with Johnny Angel and Swingtet 8 at the Strand Theater in Zelienople (8pm Sat/2pm Sun)
- Mar 15, 2014 The Edgewood Symphony Stravinsky's 1919 Firebird Suite, Walter Morales, conducting.
- Mar 1, 2014 Premiere of the Global Net Orchestra: 100 performers around the world perform live on the Internet, with special public sites at Connecticut College and Carnegie Mellon.
- Feb 28, 2014 Premiere by Lindsey Goodman of “Separation Logic” for flute and computer; part of: New Music Festival: Recital - “The Information Age Flutist: Made in the USA,” First Presbyterian Church, Huntington, WV
- Jan 21, 2014 Music Informatics, Cognition and Acoustics Seminar, University of Edinburgh at 5pm.
- Jan 4, 2014 Charles Mingus Festival Weekend at James Street; the band OPEK hits at 7pm.
- Oct 15-16, 2013 Critical Point performance at CMMR, Marseille, France
- Sep 13, 2013 Workshop on applications of robotics in music performance and analysis, McGill University
- Sep 12 2013 CIRMMT Distinguished Lecture, McGill University
- Sep 7, 2013 Johnny Angel and Swingtet 8 at Uniontown State Theatre
- Aug 25, 2013 Swingtet 8 benefit for Muriel's Breath of Life Foundation
- Aug 24, 2013 Edgewood Symphony Orchestra at Edgewood Community Days
- August 19, 2013 Talk at QUT, Brisbane, Australia
- August 11-17, 2013 Paper presentation at International Computer Music Conference, Perth
- July 30 - August 3, 2013 Paper presentation at SMAC/SMC, Stockholm
- June 13, 2013 Crucible Sound #2: Improvisations with Roger Dannenberg (trumpet, electronics), Herman Pearl (modular synthesizer), RJ Myato (electronics), and AE Paterra (drums).
- May 28, 2013 Lecture at IRCAM, Paris
- Jan 1, 2013 Algorithmic Composition is published!
- Oct 18, 2012, 7:30pm The Edgewood Symphony plays Mahler's Kindertotenlieder and Totenfeier, Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1 featuring Roy Sonne, violin, and Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain. Walter Morales, conducting.
- Sep 21, 2012, 10:30pm. OPEK at Club Cafe.
- Sep 11, 2012. Keynote speech at Interspeech 2012, Portland, OR.
- Aug 25, 2012, 7:30pm. Edgewood Symphony
concert at Edgewood Community Day, Koenig Field, Edgewood. Roger
Dannenberg, trumpet soloist on Duke Ellington's Sophisticated
- May 6, 2012, 2:30pm & May 12, 7:30pm. Edgewood Symphony concert, First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood, world premiere of John Wilson's arrangement of Duke Ellington's Sophisticated Lady for full orchestra, Roger Dannenberg, trumpet soloist
- Jun 7-8, 2012 Keynote Address at Computer-Human Interactive Performance Symposium (CHIPS), London.
- Apr 16, 2012 Federation of Laptop Orchestras conducted by Roger Dannenberg from Baton Rouge, LA (LSU) with live ensembles connected via the Internet at Stanford, Texas A&M, Boulder CO, Baton Rouge LA, Pittsburgh, and Belfast UK.
- Jan 19, 2012 Cap Gun Quartet at the Thunderbird Cafe, 4023 Butler St., Lawrenceville.
- Dec 3, 2011, 7:30pm Edgewood Symphony concert, First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood
- Nov 12, 2011 Invited talk at Eastman/University of Rochester/Cornell Music Cognition Symposium
- Oct 24-28, 2011 Presentation at ISMIR 2011
- Oct 1-4, 2011 Invited talk and performance at Ear Zoom Sonic Arts Festival 2011, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Aug 27, 2011, 7pm. Edgewood Symphony concert, Koenig Field, Edgewood
- Apr 27, 2011 Presentation at the International Conference on Computational Creativity, Mexico City
- Mar 12, 2011 Jackie Angel and the Swingtet Eight at Kean Theatre (Gibsonia, 8pm)
- Feb 28, 2011 Rock Prodigy wins
Appy Award in Education!
- Jan 23, 2011 I'll be attending and presenting at the Dagstuhl-Seminar on Multimodal Music Processing in Saarbrücken, Germany
- Dec 16, 2011 Cap Gun Quartet at the Thunderbird Cafe, 4023 Butler St., Lawrenceville.
- Dec 14, 2011 Roger Humphries Big Band with Spanky Wilson at Theater Square Caberet, 7:30pm.
- Oct 9, 2010 Dannenberg plays Vivaldi's Concerto for Two Trumpets with Catherine Getchell and the Edgewood Symphony
- Oct 1, 2010 Jem Finer's 'Shortplayer' at the Wood Street Galleries, 9:30pm, an adaptation of Finer's 1000-year-long piece performed by Pittsburgh Musicians including Dannenberg.
- Jun 24-26, 2010 Dannenberg is keynote speaker at the Australasian Computer Music Conference in Canberra, Australia.
- Dec 17, 2009 Swingtet Eight with vocalist Jackie Angel at Atrias PNC Park (starting at 7:30pm)
- Sep 23, 2009 Swingtet Eight with vocalist Jackie Angel at Atrias O'Hara Township
- July 10-11, 2009“Critical Point” for Cello and Computer, performed by the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble
- June 28, 2009 Roger Humphries Big Band at the Rhythm House
- June 12, 2009 HiTEC (Histrionic Thought Experiment Cooperative) The End of Television
- June 4-6, 2009 NIME 2009: International Conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression at Carnegie Mellon
- April 19, 2009 Jazz in the Digital Age: CMU Jazz Ensembles Concert and Digital Extravaganza. Concert location: 510 E 10th Ave Homestead
- Dec. 21, 2008 Performance at the Rhythm House with RH Factor Big Band.
- June 9, 2008 Audacity in PC World 100 Best Products of 2008
- May 31, 2008 Anthony Braxton Plays Pittsburgh Plays Anthony Braxton Not one, but two Dannenberg's join Braxton at CAPA Theater, 7PM.
- Jun 1-7, 2008 Computer Music Workshop: Sound Synthesis and Algorithmic Composition with Nyquist and Audacity: Enrollment now open! (unfortunately, workshop was cancelled -- stay tuned for new plans for 2009!
- Mar 20, 9:30pm Capgun Quartet CD Release Party at the Thunderbird Cafe
- 2007-2008 Computational Thinking Seminars
- 28 Feb 2008 “Critical Point” for cello and computer performance at Connecticut College
- 2007-2008 Computational Thinking Seminars
- Sept 1. Roger Dannenberg will give the keynote address at the 11th Brazilian Symposium on Computer Music.
- June 9. Speculative Data and the Creative Imaginary art show opening at the National Academy of Sciences includes trumpet performances by Roger Dannenberg and piping by McBlare
- Summer, 2006. McBlare, the robotic bagpiper, goes to Scotland!