From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Ken Clark
Sent: January 10, 2002 6:20 PM
To: support@gesn.com
Subject: RE: modem card for R6

She was asking about modems.

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Ian S. Piper
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2002 4:12 PM
To: support@gesn.com

Tari:

Todate, we've been using the Socket LP-E Ethernet card.  The Xircom model you've mentioned requires drivers to be loaded.  This site  Windows CE 2.1 Compatible Peripherals  lists compatible CE devices, but like the Xircom, most of them require drivers to be loaded.  When you look at the list at the hyperlink above, I believe that those listed with the logo below, are compatible with the generic drivers already embedded in Windows CE 2.1.  So they should be plug and pray.

wcepwrc.gif (6864 bytes)

Due to availability issues and "obsolescence" (I'm learning to hate that word), you may be stuck having to use a Compact Flash Type with a PCMCIA Type II Adapter.  This means that there would be two pieces to create what used to be one.  So far, we've wanted to stay away from this combination format, due to the confusion that might result from poll workers inappropriately pulling at the cards installed in an R6 unit and finding the compact flash detaching from the PCMCIA Adapter.  But that's probably not so much of a concern with the Ethernet cards, as poll workers won't be handling them.

In case we're forced in this direction by the industry, are there any thoughts from the field support people on using the Compact Flash Type peripherals with the Adapter?

Sincerely,

Ian S. Piper