RE: AccuVote-TS Voter Card Slot - Please modify

Pat is subscribed to the support list.

Rodney already posted this rcr.

I'd like to point out the original nonlocking design didn't have this problem.

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Steve Knecht
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 8:40 AM
To: Global Support
Cc: greenp@diebold.com
Subject: AccuVote-TS Voter Card Slot - Please modify

Yesterday I spent four solid hours demonstrating and having pollworkers in Sacramento using the touch screen, along with Deborah and Robert.  The primary obstacle to voters using the touch screen system without assistance was the first step of inserting the voter card.  About 1/3 of the folks couldn't see a card slot at all and about 60% would fumble until a corner of the card stumbled across the slot.  Many if not most voters required some form of assistance with the first step.  This slot is colored black with no color "key" to help you find the slot and no beveling to assist with the entry of the card.

The Sequoia system has a 1/4" or so bevel above and below their slot, thereby making it quite easy to see plus the actual housing for the slot is in yellow plastic, so the slot itself is dark against a lighter background.  We should bevel this insert slot and color it so it is visible as soon as possible.

Steve Knecht
Diebold Election Systems
415-893-9941 office   415-893-9951 fax
415-225-6591 cell