One for anyone who Understands Networking

The Setup:

	In Gaston County, we are running Win98 on a Digital Computer.  The server
was at one time on the county's LAN but was not at election time last
November and also was not upon  my arrival.  Gems was upgraded to 1.17.11
and Poll books were upgraded to 3.13.9.2.

The Problem:

	At the beginning of testing the poll books were taking 3.5 to 7 minutes to
connect to the server and upload the results.  After the first was sent it
would then have to find the correct IP address again and then upload the
second, and so on till all the disks went through.  This was unacceptable,
when for the presidential election it only took 30 to 45 seconds for the
upload.

The Fix:

	In order to fix the problem I went into the Network Setting on the server
and deleted anything on the DNS tab under TCP/IP properties.  I then let
Windows rebuild the driver and restarted the server.  When it restarted this
had solved the problem and reached the 30 to 45 second mark needed.  And
finally Sandra was ok with this.

The Question:

	Why did this change?  The server was off limits to the staff, and the only
known contact that pertains in any way to networking was Internet Explorer
was started and would not come up because it is not connected to anything.
Would this in someway cause the RAS to work so slowly?

Thanks for any info,

Kerry