RE: Open Primary Election on AVTS

PSINet has set up 4 different election scenarios in GEMS, based upon a Test Scripts document that we sent to them.  Those test scripts include 1) Open Primary; 2) Closed Primary; 3) General Election; and 4) Advanced Options within a General Election.  These have all been tested within GEMS and a AccuVote for version 1.11.13.5.  They are now testing GEMS 1.17.11.3 with both a AccuVote and a AVTS with these same test scripts.  That is where we encountered the problem with the AVTS and a Open Primary.  As you state Ken, they are only testing the GEMS software, so yes they can and probably will Certify GEMS with the exception that open primaries do not currently work with the AVTS.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Ken Clark
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 10:20 PM
To: support@gesn.com
Subject: RE: Open Primary Election on AVTS

This doesn't make sense.  PSINet does not certify the AVTS.  I'd add that we don't have any AVTS open primary customers, and aren't likely to have one any time soon.  I suggest that PSINet concern itself with GEMS.  If they want to attach a proviso saying that open primaries are not NASED certified when used in conjunction with the AVTS, that's fine.  It works with AVOS.  If they want GEMS to put up an error if you try to download an open primary to an R4 AVTS, that can be arranged.

And yes, the R6 supports open primaries.

I stress however that what the R6 can and cannot do is beside the point.  Say we add support for cross endorsement in GEMS for the AVOS only before cross endorsement is implemented on the AVTS.  This isn't a hypothetical:  it will probably happen that way.  Just because we implement a feature for one of our voting machines doesn't mean it has to be implemented in all of them for GEMS to be certified.  I challenge them to point out where in the FEC rules it says that all voting machines have to implement all voting rules.  If they think this is a requirement, I'd like to have a short discussion with them about our competition's products.