Re: Maximum Capacity of Ballots in Ballot Box

I have no idea what the ballot capacity of boxes without deflectors is.  If you want, Juan, I can find out if Richard Joyal has any stats on this.

Nel
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 8:19 AM
Subject: RE: Maximum Capacity of Ballots in Ballot Box

When the ballot box was first tested in 1990, the quantity with neatly stacked flat (i.e., not folded) ballots was 1700 per bin.  We therefore quoted 1500 per bin (gave ourselves a little headroom).  Since we have had ten years of experience, the appropriate amount is 1000 per bin.  Some disgruntled folks will probably respond with less.  It is dependant on the ballot length.  The 18" ballots tend to stack more neatly than the 14" ballots, and so on.  All of these capacity numbers are based on having a deflector inside the ballot box.  The deflector and the paper stops on the side of the bins make an attempt to neatly stack the ballots to efficiently use the space (Ancient Chinese Secret).  Even then, some of the ballots may dive into the bin and sit on edge or start forming a tent, effectively reducing the capacity of the bin.  The 11" ballots love to do this.(Am I anthropomorphizing paper again?)

If you take the deflector out, then your guess is as good as anyone's.  Dynabec (dealer in Quebec, Canada) special ordered 50 ballot boxes without the deflector.  Nel Finberg was in close contact with Richard Joyal (Dynabec).  Perhaps he knows of their experience with that ballot box's capacity.

BTW:  Juan, was your ' 12" ballot ' reference a typo?

Ian