RE: GEMS 1-17-11 candidate withrawal

It applies to AccuVote-OS ballots as well.  There are subtle issues here
though.  I would suggest not tugging on that thread for the purposes of 1.17
docs.

> I would also
> like to confirm the logic:  the candidate is placed on
> AccuVote-OS reports,
> even if the Withdraw flag was selected before programming memory
> cards, but
> the candidate does not appear on GEMS reports.

It depends on the AVOS version.  1.94x AVOS and later won't have it on the
tape if the memory card is downloaded after the candidate is withdrawn.
They will also not reject races overvoted with a withdrawn candidate.
Earlier versions will display the word "WITHDRAWN" as the candidate name on
reports and treat it the same as any other candidate.  If the memory card is
downloaded before the candidate is withdrawn, then the AVOS will count it,
but GEMS will drop those votes on the floor at upload.  Withdrawn candidates
do not appear on GEMS reports.

Ken