RE: Spyrus Card Burning Environment

This looks correct.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Ian S. Piper
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 3:27 PM
To: support@gesn.com
Subject: Spyrus Card Burning Environment

I'd like to set this down in concrete.  I need a response on this email from Sophia Lee, Jeff Hintz, and Steve Knecht.

To use the Spyrus Card Readers/Burners :

Ballot Stations will require at least Rev   3.13.x  Software loaded.  The Alameda units being created in McKinney will have installed 3.13.5.1 Ballot Station software (Jeff Hintz is comfortable with it and it appears to be the software loaded on the existing California units) and the PollBook software version is irrelevant (the ballot stations won't be used as Pollbooks).

A computer (could be GEMS host or laptop type PollBook) will require Rev  3.13.8.2  Software loaded.  This revision of software allows you to create a special smart card that programs the Spyrus unit with the codes.  Whether you create these special smart cards on the GEMS host (with a desktop card reader attached) or on a laptop type PollBook is irrelevant.  It is the project manager's preference.

The laptop type PollBooks will require at least a revision of PollBook Software to match the Ballot Stations.  If you're going to be creating, "in the field", the special smart cards that program the Spyrus readers, then 3.13.8.2 is required to be loaded.

The type of cards to use:

The laptop type PollBooks and the Ballot Stations can burn microprocessor type cards (i.e., manager cards) and "memory only" cards (i.e, the standard voter access card).

The Spyrus Card Reader can only burn microprocessor type cards.  i.e., manager type cards.
  • Microprocessor type cards are the 64KBit and 128KBit cards that we program as manager cards.  They can be printed as "Voter Access Cards" and used in the Spyrus environment.  They are expensive, but they work and we will use them until an alternative is available.
  • We are currently working on providing a less expensive 4KBit card that is a microprocessor type card.  These cards will become one of our new standards for "Voter Access Cards".  They are currently not available.  When they are available, it will be announced.