From: Ken Clark
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 6:23 AM
Subject: RE: Alco Smart Cards and Spyrus

From: Steve Knecht [mailto:skglobal@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 3:39 PM
Ken,

A few questions: Are Alameda's Voter Cards (250 of them only) supported by the Spyrus.

No.
How would we handle 8 parties in a primary if the Spyrus only supports 6 styles?

Two readers.
Is this a limit you've programmed or a limit of the Spyrus itself?

Bit of both.
I am ordering 30 Spryus Card burners for Piedmont/Oakland election on March 6/April17 elections.  Early voting starts Feb. 6 for Piedmont  I have tried the Spyrus on the Alameda smart cards.  I don't seem to be able to get it to work per your emailed instructions. It comes up:

200100.00
1:      Encode?

If I press enter it beeps once and stays on Encode? message.

It only supports ISO T=0 smart cards, as per docs.
If I press clear it beeps once and stays on message.

Clear button doesn't do anything.
Do I need to order different cards, or can the 30 sent to me be programmed to accept the Alameda cards?  Please let me know so I can get correct cards ordered.

You need to order ISO T=0 cards, or talk Spyrus into supporting I2C.  For March Alameda, that realistically means the former.

Ken