Central Count Error Messages

We have started counting absentee ballots in Marin.  We are getting a significant number of the following error messages.

NO ENDER MARK - the ballot will usually be taken on the next try

NO BACK LEFT TIMING MARK (0 or 52) - these also run on next try or so.

I've looked at the ballots and find no discernable reason for them to be stopping or giving this message, as they have all appropriate timing marks.

I don't expect there's anything to be done, but it could be looked at prior to next election.