From: Ian S. Piper [mailto:ian@dieboldes.com]
Sent: March 14, 2002 5:58 PM
To: Request for Change Report (E-mail)
Subject: Smartcard ATR String in Votercard.dll

I'd like to request a new votercard.dll file for the 3.x Ballot Station
Software to include a new ATR String on the latest version of the 4KB
smartcards coming out of our vendor.  Please see the attached Word document
for the ATR String detail (The 15th byte has changed due to an upgrade in
the Major OS Version.)

This votercard.dll file is required to update the CPM (Card Production
Manager) Software which we use to produce Manager Cards.  Although the CPM
is a version 2.x software, the votercard.dll for 3.x is compatible.  This is
required by March 22nd, 2002 as, by that time, we will exhaust our supply of
4KB cards with the previous ATR string that currently works with the CPM.
Although we will refrain from shipping these cards to existing AV-TS R4
customers and supply them with the 1KB memory cards that we have remaining
in stock, the votercard.dll file may also be needed for loading onto
existing AV-TS R4 Ballot Stations/PollBooks for customers that desperately
need new smart cards at a time when we have depleted our 1KB stock.

Although testing has shown that this doesn't affect 4.x Ballot Station
software (CE and NT versions), please verify that there are no potential
side effects.

If you'd like the details on the chain of events that lead to this, let me
know and I'll provide them sometime next week.

Sincerely,

Ian S. Piper
Diebold Election Systems, Inc.