RE: AVTS Ballot Station Setup Serial Number

You need to be a little careful here, as we currently use the term
Machine ID to mean the logical unit number of the machine within the
polling place.  Typically 1, 2, 3, etc.  This is different than the
machine serial number, which means just that.  The logical unit number
can migrate from machine to machine.  You can think of the machine id as
the identifier of the PCMCIA card within the voting center.  If a
machine goes down, you can take the PCMCIA card out of one machine and
put it in another, and the machine ID follows.  The serial number,
conversely, remains tied to the physical unit.

We can change the verbiage to anything you/he likes within reason, but
you'll need to separate the two meanings.  Let us know exactly what
changes to what verbiages you want, and we'll make the change.  That is,
itemize "all instances of the verbiage" and let us know the new
verbiage.

For what it is worth, I think you might be better off attacking this
from the "user's ability to change the serial number" viewpoint.  The
serial number needs to be set *somehow*.  How would he like it set, if
not in setup?