Button Color Change on AccuVote-OS

For years I have also requested a color differentiation on the AccuVote-OS "yes/no" buttons, so the pollworkers could see them.   A black button on a black background is very difficult to locate for many pollworkers.  Now that the buttons no longer extend beyond the front vertical plane of the unit, it is all the more difficult.  (In fact, these buttons don't seem to work well at all anymore). This request has been submitted on several occasions.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2001 8:16 AM
Subject: RE: design issue --TS

I've always been an advocate of tilting the smart card reader (if you care to review previous emails on the subject) but the concept was always denounced.  Now that tooling has been created, it would cost a great deal of money to re-design, re-tool, and re-certify.  Depending on when these "deals" are due to deliver, the time to get through this process could prevent meeting delivery dates.

My understanding of the problem is that the card slot is difficult to see against the black bezel. Here's an option that I've discussed with the smart card reader manufacturer: create the bezel for the smart card reader out of white plastic instead of black.  The slot would then be more visible against that color and reduce the opportunity for missing the slot.  The manufacturer states there is no problem doing this.  We just have to spec the color and expect a little longer lead time on the parts.  I think that this is the lowest risk solution in regards to design, certification and delivery.

Have a Merry Christmas

Ian S. Piper