Re: Audible Notice of casting of a vote

I say we create a seperate internal speaker that snags some audio (or have the software send a call to the PIC we have now placed on the board) from the onboard audio processor,,from here we can run it through a PIC of some sort (F family being enough) and use pulse width modulation, this would give you a wide range of sounds and tones that we can create.  You can create a tone with a small internal speaker and a PIC loud enough to be heard from 20 feet away.  Also, this would require very low power, and wouldn't interfere with the VIBS external speaker jack.

Robert
----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Clark
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 1:06 PM
Subject: RE: Audible Notice of casting of a vote

Interesting.

The AVTS has an internal speaker, but there is a hardware problem with the current sound system so it is basically inaudible.  But even if that were fixed in a later release board rev, its doubtful that the little speaker would project 20".  We can plug an external speaker into the VIBS audio port, but the fun question here is how to power it and how to stop voters from borrowing them.  In short, I defer to Global's hardware development department.

On the software front, playing any sound they like when the ballot is cast will require exactly one line of code.