RE: VIBS for Spyrus reader

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Tyler Links
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 10:46 AM

That’s a good, easy interface solution (I wonder who suggested it).  However, if we use the * key for VIBS, what about challenged voters?  Use the # key?  Again, that’s an easy interface (any moron could have thought of it).

Indeed.

But then what happens in the future if we have to create a different kind of conditional voter?  All of the keypad options are used up.  We will need to use the arrow keys instead for VIBS, challenged, and whatever else, and we will have customers that will need to be re-trained to use the arrow keys for VIBS.  Shouldn’t we standardize from the outset using an interface that allows flexibility for the future (i.e. the arrow keys)?

Perhaps, but when I weighed out the simplicity of just pressing the * and # keys vs. trying to explain toggling multiple options via a menu, the KISS solution won out.  Better to cross the "more options" bridge if and when it happens.  Who knows, at that time maybe the added complexity will make us think twice about whether the option itself is a good idea.

[Footnote for everyone reading this message on RCR, the aforementioned suggestion to use the arrow keys was Ken’s.  I’m the moron who thought to use the * and # keys.]

The moronic solution is often the best one.  This is why you want project managers who are on the ground submitting RCRs, not code jocks who never use the thing.

Ken