RE: ability to clear one precinct in a multiprecinct vote center

From: owner-rcr@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-rcr@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Guy

Would it be reasonable to download a new memory card designed to count just the precinct in question?  This would imply selecting a precinct for recount (as opposed to a race which is another common recount requirement), clearing its counters (probably automatic), downloading its memory card, recounting, and uploading the new count.

Yes.  It is not just a matter of recounting a "precinct" though.  Its recounting a precinct within a countergroup of an AccuVote in a vcenter.  So the question is how to present this in GEMS.

Here is one solution.  Add a clear button to manual entry system.  Probably a good idea anyway.  This allows the user to zero out a memorycard/precinct/countergroup combination.  User then increases the number of memory cards in the vcenter, and counts only those precincts on the new card.  We already that part.

I would like to hear suggestions on how this could be made more transparent though -- ie automatically clearing the recounted memorycard/precinct/countergroup.  This still sounds far too easy to screw up.

Ken