Smart Card Detection

Could the AV-TS Suite software be made to recognize that a smart card is not inserted correctly and therefore prompt the user to remove the card and re-insert it correctly, rather than try to read it and tell you its an invalid card?

When using 3.12.4 on the PollBook or the Ballot Station software, I can stick a card in backwards and depending on your position in the program, the system brings up an Admin keypad or tells me to remove an invalid card.

How could I possibly insert a card upside down?  I was working with the proto AV-TS ballot station (really a blue/white unit in a different case), which had the smart card reader installed upside down.  Nobody had passed this info along, and it was not obvious just by looking at it, so when we couldn't get it to recognize a manager/admin card, we thought there was some software problem, or perhaps a different password code, or a smart card problem .

When at an Admin function screen:
  • I insert a manager card in upside down,
  • the system brings up an Admin keypad screen,
  • I enter the password, and
  • the system tells me I can't gain access rights, Retry or Cancel.
  • I then think I have a bad manager card or the access code is somehow different.
  • I try other manager cards/admin cards to no avail.
  • There is no indication that the card was not inserted properly.

When in the ballot station software introduction screen:
  • the system prompts me to insert a voter card.
  • I insert the voter card in upside down,
  • the system states it is reading the voter card,
  • then the system tells me to remove an invalid card.
  • I then think that the smart card didn't program properly, or was already used, or the card is bad.
  • I try other programmed cards, all to no avail.
  • There is no indication that the card was not inserted properly.