From: Ken Clark
To: rcr
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2000 7:55 AM
Subject: Undervotes to include blank votes (RE: State of Illinois )

This is a follow up from the original Illinois RCR posted by Larry Ensminger 10-6-99 (attached).  Larry Calvert has sent a fax restating the requests for Illinois and Wisconsin.  They look to be the same as the original requests, with one exception:
ILLINOIS MODIFICATIONS -- STATE MANDATED:
3)    SOVC report to include items 6 and 7 from the state board report.  Note that in Illinois Undervotes are calculated by using the following formula.  ("Times Blank Voted" X # to Vote For) + Undervotes = Undervotes.
Ignoring the algebra, looks like what they want is the same as Jeff Hintz requested some time back:  undervotes include blank votes.  The question is, do they also want undervotes to include blank races due to overvotes or not?

I would rather not start adding multiple flags for undervotes (include blank, include over), and instead have a consistent set of rules for people to support/document/train.  If its really a state statute though, we are going to need some kind of flag.  Did GBS run VTS in Wisconsin?  Did VTS deal with this issue?

Ken