Text position relative to ovals

In the ballot layout software, it would be beneficial to tolerances in AccuVotes and Ballot printing/cutting if we could nudge the candidate text and yes/no text further away from the oval position by approximately one character width.  Sometimes the characters sit so close to the side of an oval that combinations of the following can produce invalid marks or might produce  overvotes (I haven't seen this one yet, but it's highly likely with the difference of one (1) scan line between an invalid mark and a valid mark):
  • a little left or right shift of a slightly undercut ballot
  • a slightly more sensitive channel
  • a thicker oval line
  • a larger character font (i.e., thicker lines on the character)
Ian