Serial Port \ Ras - not getting connectd on some R-6 units

I was doing some training the past 2 days at Johnson County, KS.  We were trying to do direct download via serial connection with Ras.  On the first R-6 unit, it made the connection and authorized the user, but then just hung when it tried to do the download of the database info from GEMS.  I then switched to a different R-6, and everything worked fine, we did several downloads without any problems.  However, after adding
another 16 port Digibox, we could not get the serial connection.  We thought that it was a configuration problem with the Digibox, however, again after switching to a different R-6, everything worked again.  I went back and ran the Serial Port diagnostics on the R-6 units that quit working, and the diagnostics passed successfully, but still could not get a serial connection between the Host and the R-6.

One added item.  When I did a GEMS / R-6 demonstration in Miami back in October, I had the same problem with getting a connection.  After removing and adding my Com port to Ras, and retrying several times, I was finally able to get a connection.

Is this a serial problem, Ras problem, cable problem, or all of the above???

Thanks,

JEFF HINTZ
Global Election Systems