Re: BallotStationCE-4-1-0-2 Count Test voted VIBS voter card

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Clark
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 2:59 PM
Subject: RE: BallotStationCE-4-1-0-2 Count Test voted VIBS voter card

From: owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Nel Finberg
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 2:18 PM

Activate Count Test.  Insert a voted VIBS voter card at the voter card insertion prompt.  The touch screen displays a 'Loading Ballot' message for an extended period of time, and no audio message is played back, indicating that the voter card has already been voted.

The 4.1.0.2 ballot station is hard coded to VIBS.  The next release will recognize VIBS flagged voter cards.  Voted cards will be rejected as pre usual, without playing audio.

There is no such thing as a "voted VIBS voter card".  That concept does not make sense:  the previous voter who voted the card may or may not have been visually impaired.

What I meant was a voter card that had been used to vote, and had not been re-programmed.  Whether the previous voter voted using an audio ballot should be irrelevant, since a voter card may be interchangeably programmed for both visual and audio ballots.

 We could play some audio unconditionally for rejected cards.  If the headphones are not plugged in, that would mean everyone in the vote center would hear the message.  I am not sure whether that is a win.  Comments?  I guess it would play the error in English (like the onscreen message) whether the voter understood English or not.  'Course we could ask to voter to select their language before rejecting the card.  Hmmm....

Can't the audio message be played only if the headphones are plugged in - can this be detected?  If not, the message indicating that the ballot has already been cast may be displayed visually, in English.  What is the chance that a blind, non-English speaking voter will attempt to cast a ballot twice?  In any case, assistance for such voters should always be close at hand.

Nel

 Ken