RE: vote center resetting upon resetting election status

GEMS has a bug where you can unset-then-set out from under it.  That needs fixing.  But the moment they unset and changed the election title, all the memory card images changed, even if GEMS didn't notice at the time.

Then they actually did a "full" unset to change the number of candidates.  When they set-fored again, GEMS checked to see if the memory card images were the same as they were when they were programmed.  They weren't.  The election title was different.  So it invalidated them all.  Had they actually hit "apply" when they unset to change the election title, the same thing would have happened.  They didn't have to change the number of candidates.  The memory cards were already toast.

This was all explained to GBS the last time they tried this stunt.

From: owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-bugtrack@dieboldes.com]On Behalf Of Nel Finberg
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 11:43 AM
To: bugtrack@dieboldes.com
Subject: Re: vote center resetting upon resetting election status

I'll reiterate what I sent Ken directly.

GBS places the precinct name in the election title in order to get it onto the memory card label, since the 1.94 firmware does not support this and 1.95 firmware cannot be used in Illinois.  This means that - tediously enough - the election title is changed to include the precinct name, the election status is set to election, the vote center programmed, the election status reset, and so on.

If the problem is as you say, 142 vote centers would not have been marked as programmed in the AccuVote Server console, which they obviously were, before the number to vote for was changed in the database.  Obviously, their action in changing the election title and continuously programming the next memory card did not reset all vote centers, but changing the number to vote for did.

That said, it could be that the combination of the two activities led to this conclusion.

Nel