2017-18 Rate Changes for SCS Computing Facilities
Effective: July 1, 2017
The following rate changes will be in effect during the 2017-18 fiscal year:
SCS user-based account charges
- The monthly charge for all SCS user accounts will be $0
- For more information about user-based charges visit: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~help/support_charges/index.html.
SCS machine-based support charges
- Cluster Rack monthly charge will increase from $175 to $200
- All other machine-based support charges will remain the same
- For more information about machine-based charges visit: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~help/support_charges/machine_rates.html.
Over the past several months, we have made changes to the way services are delivered to the SCS community. By collaborating with CMU Computing Services, we have managed to consolidate, improve and eliminate outdated/stale services, which has led to an overall reduced cost to the college. SCS Computing has not changed any of our rates for several years. In November 2016, the charge for network services was dropped to zero. That change, plus the current removal of SCS user account charges, is part of a gradual re-imagining of support for computing in SCS that we are able to pass directly to our customers.
If you are interested in even more detail about financial planning for SCS Computing or the implementation details about the changes to services, please contact Walt Schearer.