Calypso Setup Instructions
Learning Goal: This document will guide you through setting up
your hardware (if you're using an Amazon Fire tablet), Cozmo robot,
and software (Calypso). At the end are instructions for how to update
your software in the future.
If you don't have a robot and are only planning to run Calypso in
simulator mode, you can skip ahead to the instructions for Calypso Software Setup.
Preparing Your Fire for Installation
These instructions are for the $49 Amazon Fire Tablet, although they
should also work with other Fire models.
- Warning: do not plug your Fire into your laptop yet, as this
may cause a device driver issue in a later step if you're using a
Windows computer. We'll tell you when to plug it in. For now,
just plug it in to your charger. If you've already been using
your Fire with a Windows computer, don't panic. The problem is
- If you're using a brand new Fire, plug it in to the charger now
and go through the setup dialog. You will need to connect to a WiFi
network in order to install software.
- Make sure your Fire is running the latest version of FireOS.
You can check this by opening the Settings app. Under "Device
Options" select "System Updates". You want to be running version
5.3.1 or higher. If an update is offered, install it. This will take
a few minutes. You may have to go through the update process several
times to get to the latest version of FireOS.
- Turn on USB debugging:
- From the home page on your Fire (you can use the circle icon at
the bottom of the screen to bring up the home page), go to the
Settings app. Select "Device Options".
- Tap on the "Serial Number" entry seven times. This will reveal a
"Developer Options" entry.
- Tap on "Developer Options" and turn on the "Enable ADB" switch.
On the Fire 8 this may be labeled "Enable USB Debugging".
Then exit the app.
- Install the free Cozmo app on your Fire by selecting the
"Appstore" application and searching for "cozmo robot". Run the app to
verify that it can talk to your Cozmo robot. If you're new to Cozmo,
you may find this Getting
Started video or this Quick
Start Guide helpful.
- Turn off automatic app updates. This is necessary because the Cozmo
app and the Cozmo SDK software must be kept in sync.
- Go to the home page on the Fire by pressing the circle icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Press the Library button in the top right corner of the screen.
- In the Apps Library, open the options menu by tapping the icon in
the top left corner of the screen. Select "Settings" from the
- If "Automatic Updates" is turned on, tap on it and uncheck the
box to turn automatic updates off.
- Your Fire is now set up and ready to use.
Cozmo Robot Setup Follow the directions in the
Quick Start Guide to set up Cozmo and connect to the app running
on the Fire.
Note that Cozmo has no on/off switch. To turn Cozmo on you must place
him on his charger. If you exit the app, he will turn off by himself
after a few minutes. Place him on the charger when you're done with
him, to ensure that he's fully charged and ready to go the next time
you want to play with him.
Calypso Software Setup
You should have received an email link to download a Calypso
installer. Download the installer for your operating system (Windows,
MacOS, or Ubuntu Linux) and run it to install Calypso on your
computer. When installation completes you should see a Calypso icon
on your desktop.
To run Calypso, see the instructions in the next module.
Updating Your Cozmo and Calypso Software
New versions of the Cozmo app are released periodically. Any time you
update the app you must also update Calypso.
To update the Cozmo app on your Fire:
To update Calypso, open the Home menu, go to Settings, and select
"Update Calypso Now".
- If you're running the Cozmo app on the Fire, exit the app.
- Go to the home page by pressing the circle icon at the bottom of
- Tap the Library button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Go to the "Apps" tab and tap on the entry for Cozmo. If the
yellow button says "Update" instead of "Open", tap on the button to
install the update. Othewise, there is no update available at this
Take the Quiz
Take this Calypso Setup Quiz to review
what you've learned.
In the next module you'll be introduced
to computer vision and investigate Cozmo's perception.
Back to Calypso Curriculum overview.
Visionary Machines LLC
Last modified: Tue Jun 13 03:09:53 EDT 2017