CMU 15-112: Fundamentals of Programming and Computer Science
Class Notes: Programming for Social Good
Note (Caveat emptor): This very inexhaustive list is meant to inform you of these kinds of efforts -- large and small, local and global -- and even to inspire some of you to devote some of your time and energy to furthering the social causes of your choosing. However, this list does not reflect any kind of endorsement or vetting of these specific projects or social causes, and surely omits a great many profoundly worthy causes. In any case, be sure to properly vet any project you may choose to support!
- Impact CMU Social Good Expo 2016 Video
- Design for America @ CMU
- Engineers without Borders @ CMU
- CMU SCS4ALL
- CMU Gelfand Center
- FORGE @ CMU (refugee support in Pittsburgh area)
- Project Ignite @ CMU
- Variety: the Children's Charity / My Voice Program (by CMU alum)
- Society of Women Engineers K12 Outreach
- And more...
- Code for America
- Humanitarian FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) Project
- InSTEDD (Innovative Support to Emergencies, Diseases, and Disasters)
- OpenMRS Medical Record Systems
- Public Lab
- Sahana Software Foundation (disaster response coordination)
- Tor (privacy and security)
- Or... Just approach the charity or other organization of your choice and ask how you can help with your programming skills.